Re: MESSAGE+. ERASE and RECONNECT message
Icanthearu
Enthusiast - Level 2

To skip this long missive, jump to the bottom (blue text) for suggested action to address this issue which seems to arise when multiple users are on a Mac, which is VERY common, and can be further compounded when users are using multiple machines.  When a user logs out from one account (machine?) with Message+ still running, if they then login on another account (machine?), the "device has been disconnected" alert sometimes appears. (haven't been able to recreate the issue 100% of the time)

As for the failure to erase and disconnect hang, I was able to complete the action if I manually deleted the .plist file, first, but then I found I had to fully remove Message+ from all accounts and then reinstall it to get the .plist file back.

I also found that removal of all Message+ associated files from one user did not also remove the same files from other users which could affect the reinstall. When I fully removed all Message+ files from all users before doing any reinstall, I think I got rid of the issue .. MAYBE. (so far no hangups)

I did get hit with the "This device has been disconnected" alert on one machine running 10.15.2 (Catalina) but the Erase and Disconnect completed with no problems. As I recall, it always has worked on Catalina. If so, nothing new.

Right now, after using AppCleaner to FULLY remove all Message+ associated files from all users,  on a Mac running 10.13.6 (High Sierra), prior to any attempt to reinstall and making sure Message+ is NOT running when a user logs out, things are running well.

Smiley Happy

To sum it up for regular users. If you get stuck in the "Erase and Disconnect" loop, and have Admin, you can use AppCleaner to fully remove from all user accounts and then reinstall Message+. To remove Message+ from multiple users using AppCleaner, check all the boxes except the one for Message+.app until you're on the last user. If you delete the app before then, you won't have it to drag into AppCleaner to find files. **Note, if Message+ is running, you'll need to Quit it before you can uninstall.**

After you're sure Message+ and all of its associated files have been removed from all users, reinstall Message+.

Quit Message+ prior to logging out if you might be logging into another user on that same machine.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
AdaraRoze

THIS MAY HELP

I ran Message+ 2.5.2 app on my Mac Mini OS 10.14.6.

I had a flip phone that will soon not work so, got a new phone.

When the old phone was deactivated and the new set up ( not all the way )

I got the 'Erase and reconnect' message when I tried to open Message+ on my ipad pro and on my mac mini.

This is all I needed to do to get it to work. via Verizon help Chat

1.   phone was not fully activated so agent sent me email.

email was titled:  "lets confirm your account",   open it.

it will say in big letters  "CLICK TO CONFIRM YOUR REQUEST"

below, it will say   "Verify my account > "   click on that

it will take you to a page that will say    "Successful email authentication"

2     Open the Message+ on your ipad pro and , whallah, it will work fine!

Now for the MAC MINI

i had the Mac on already and Message+ was open with that wretched "erase and reconnect" message.  AND, no red button to close the window  ( on left upper corner of the app banner )  AND no option to quit or even force quit Message+ grrrr. SO

1     Click on that "Erase and reconnect" button.  Don't worry, you will not lose your contacts or conversations, they will all come back.  this is only erasing the device from the system. 

you will get the  "Disconnecting and deleting" message and the spinning ball.  it will go on forever if you let it, BUT

2     I noticed that the red button on the top left corner became active, so i closed the window.

3     I quit Message+ ( successfully, this time)

4   re Launched Message+ 

5     It will make you set it up again  ( asking for the mobile number associated with it)

6     It will ask you if you want to set up a public profile. 

After you set up the profile - or not, Message+ will open,  taking it's sweet time, mine opened with all my contacts and conversations.  It took a while for them to appear in full, but that was the end of the problem.  I did not need to delete the app on either devise.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

0 Likes
Ivanhead2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I guess the Indian workers didn't understand the problem, like this bot that is answering the questions.

Verizon service is awful

0 Likes
Icanthearu
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure what prompted this snide remark.

If you're stuck in the Erase and Reconnect loop and have followed the suggestion to run the AppCleaner app, please say so.

0 Likes
kh_jenn

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes