International Text
NoOneSpecial
So I received this text from Laos. But for some reason it doesn't display right. It's all funky with numbers and letters of different....anyway nothing that can be read. I think it's because it's written in a foreign language. So how do I get it so show the right way? Is it something that I'd have to set my phone language or font setting to? Any ideas? I think it's kind of threaten since it's from my wife's ex boyfriend. I'd like to know what it says. Thanks
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: International Text
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

Your assumption is correct, when a text message is received internationally, the message must be sent in English to of course be legible. Same concept if you ever talked or have seen a website based in another country, it will appear with symbols and characters that are unable to be interpreted by your computer unless you change the system settings on your pc. The downside is that there is no way for your  actual phone to automatically interpret this language as your phone is built based around the English language. You could try some things online, but I'm almost positive there aren't many ways around this since the software on your phone is restrictive in terms of changing it's font capabilities. Also this interpretation of characters takes place through the switch, and therefore changing your device may not have any impact even if it were possible.

Regards

Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-24-2009 07:24 PM
0 Likes
NoOneSpecial
Hmmm... okay thanks. I didn't there was a way. Google didn't find much. But there's plenty of info on texting to friends or people in other countries. I wonder how that works. So this idiot is sending me texts that I can't read and at the same time I'm being hit .20 for every text he sends me. At what point do I get charge? When it enters my inbox or when I open it? I obviously don't want to get charged for  texts that I can't read and don't want to receive.
0 Likes
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

Sorry to hear about your troubles with this situation, but yes it is definitely something that becomes harder to manage as opposed to regular domestic text messages.

The text message will charge on your bill as long as it's reaching your phone, so simply ignoring the message will not prevent the charge.

0 Likes