Has anyone tried forwarding gmail to your phone as an SMS txt msg?
johnmudd

I forward my gmail to my phone via vtext.com.  But the return address doesn't appear correctly on my phone.  This works with other wireless vendors such as TMobile.  I'm looking for anyone else experiencing this problem with Verizon.

I setup gmail to forward email to my phone by forwarding the mail to 1112223333@vtext.com where 1112223333 is my cell number.  That forwards the first part of my email to my phone as a SMS text msg.  The only problem is that Verizon doesn't display the correct return address on the phone and so I can't reply to the emails from my phone.

John

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Has anyone tried forwarding gmail to your phone as an SMS txt msg?
Blackout
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately replying isnt going to be an option if you want to access forwarded emails.

You will need to subscribe to an email plan if you would like to use your phone to reply to emails. Unless you are using a corporate exchange service, mobile email is a very useful application. Good luck!

0 Likes
johnmudd

Thanks for the reply.

Re: replying isnt going to be an option

I don't follow.  I can reply now.  It's just that Verizon doesn't parse the return address correctly and so the reply goes to the wrong address, my gmail address instead of the original sender. 

This same approach of forwarding gmail as a SMS text msg to a TMbole phone works fine and replies go to the original sender.  Are you saying that Verizon refuses or is incapable to correct the problem?

John

0 Likes
Blackout
Enthusiast - Level 3

You're using vtext as an middle man, but vtext doesn't have the capability of understanding if you reply to the email, because it is essentially replying to the vtext site, rather then the address of the original sender.

there may be a way of getting it to communicate this to vtext, but in my understanding of vtext, its impossible.

0 Likes
johnmudd

But the reply doesn't go to the vtext site.  The reply goes to my my gmail address.

Again, the fact that TMobile gets this right makes me think it's not too much to ask Verizon to do the same.

John

0 Likes
Blackout
Enthusiast - Level 3

I completely understand where you're coming from. I would probably use it this way if it was possible. I just honestly believe that the vtext site wasn't designed with that concept in mind. The reason i say this is because there are many options out there to access email on your device. I really believe that the furthest extent of vtext is purely just to text another person if your phone isnt on hand, or you want to text an easier way then on the phone.

This was taken from the vtext website:

• Text to another mobile phone - using any 10 digit phone number that can receive a text message.
  • Text to a mobile phone from your PC using the "Send a Text" option from the menu at left.
  • Text to mobile phone from E-mail, send and receive text messages from any email address in the world by addressing the email to your 10 digit mobile number, number@vtext.com, or your custom nickname@vtext.com.

0 Likes
johnmudd

It sounds like you have less confidence in Verizon than I do.  And that's saying a lot.

I know Verizon is a big corporation and doesn't respond well to requests for help but I don't get where you draw your wild conclusions.

John

0 Likes
Blackout
Enthusiast - Level 3

Its funny that you say that, because you're basing my entire confidence in verizon off of one service. I personally don't see this conversation as constructive at this point. I was purely trying to be helpful by giving you information on the service you needed help with. I get it, you're not happy with the end result, but i can honestly say that you would benefit a lot more from a different service (ie mobile email).

As far as your interest, what would be constructive would be adding your feedback to the feedback portion of these forums, and also looking for a feedback link on the main site. Verizon is always looking for ways to improve the service, and i agree that your idea would be a good one.

0 Likes