EnV3 will not send multi-page texts or texts nearing the 160 character limit.
brandonsadkins

I've tried searching for a topic related to this to no avail.

My recently purchased enV3 on Verizon in Lynchburg, VA will not send multi-page texts. Any texts that exceed 160 characters on most phones will carry over and send two consecutive messages. The messaging application/section on the phone acts as if it is going to do this (shows page 2/7, etc), and yet the message fails to send every time.

For people having trouble sending texts and thinking its a network issue, if you are sending multi-page texts, that could be the problem. With my old alltel/verizon ROKR phone, I could send multi-page texts fine.

Tried *228, which technically shouldn't have anything to do with this issue, since calls work fine and so do texts <160 characters (though I find if i get close.. like 159 characters, it doesn't want to send then either).

What's the deal?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: EnV3 will not send multi-page texts or texts nearing the 160 character limit.
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

In experimenting with this limitation, it seems to be dependent on several factors, including (but not limited to) the capabilities of both the sending and receiving phone, signatures, special characters, and the receiving carrier.  My son and I (both Verizon) have what is described as "EMS" phones, E meaning "enhanced", and I can send him >160 texts, which appear to be sent as multiple "pages" but he receives one message.  If someone from another carrier sends a longer message, sometimes it doesn't come in at all, or it comes in multiple messages, and since he can receive my "long" texts, it would seem to be the sending carrier that is breaking up the message, or not sending it out at all.

If a phone does not have EMS, then it may or may not send or receive longer texts, period.  Since I rarely try to send longer texts, or receive them, I don't have a lot of experience in what happens when you "go over" the limit.  If I have that much to type out, I'll either call or send an email.  7 pages of text?!?

0 Likes
Re: EnV3 will not send multi-page texts or texts nearing the 160 character limit.
brandonsadkins

Yeah. I never send even close to 7 pages, lol. I definitely would email for something like that.

Although, some of my messages are slightly longer than one 160-character page... usually 200 characters or so. 

These are the messages that do not want to send from my phone, although the phone software does have the capability of sending multi-page messages.

I will test sending these longer messages to a different phone, to see if the same problem occurs. It may be the receiving phone that cannot handle these messages. If not, it seems to be one of the other possible factors you mentioned.

Thank you for the insight. 

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK--you kind of had me worried there with 7 pages of text messages :smileyvery-happy:  Anyway, another thought - if you know you are going over the character limit, break it up yourself....send 2 messages....and don't worry about which carrier is going to do what to your message. Stay within the limits and just send two shorter messages!

0 Likes