Does it cost to receive text messages, or to read them?
Altay

I have a basic family plan with no texting. I'm aware that Verizon charges for both sending and receiving text messages, but I've been told by a friend it only costs to receive text messages if you read them. I've recently been receiving spam text messages from numbers I don't recognize, and I don't know of any way to stop it. Is it true that Verizon only charges for text messages if you read them? Is there a way to prevent my phone from receiving text message? I don't like the idea of being charged for something I can't control.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does it cost to receive text messages, or to read them?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Call *611, and just keep choosing "0" until you get a live person - then tell them you want to block all texting on your phone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are charged when they reach your phone, whether you read them or not.  You can call Customer service 800-922-0204 or *611 from your handset, and ask them to block all text messages.  You can also tell them about the spam and they MAY be kind enough to credit you for those.

HTH,

0 Likes
Altay

Thanks for the help. When I call *611 I get an automated service. I told it "block text messages" when it asked me what I what I wanted to do, and it just told me to go to vtext.com to block unwanted text messages from email addresses and internet domain names. Is there a way to simply block all text messages?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Call *611, and just keep choosing "0" until you get a live person - then tell them you want to block all texting on your phone.

0 Likes