Daughter just turned 13 & has a cell phone w/Texting. How do I monitor the content of her texts?
Autumn217

I was hoping there is a way for parents to monitor their child's texting content.  I have looked through the parenting controls and cannot find a way to see her content.  I know there are privacy laws; however, when it is your own child who is a minor, shouldn't there be a way for a parent to see the content so they can monitor if something is up?  For safety issues...I think this would be a very wise thing to have since kids are texting all the time now.

Thanks for the help!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Daughter just turned 13 & has a cell phone w/Texting. How do I monitor the content of
Seda13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well unfortunately you won't be able to check the content of the txt message that your daughter is sending/receiving. The only way you'll be able to get the content is if you can get the courts to subpoena it or if you take her phone and read them. Other than that you can just get the date, time, and # it was sent to/received from. But at least usage controls will let you control what time of day she will be able to use her txt messaging and during that time she can still txt "Trusted Numbers" which are the other #s on your account.

0 Likes
Re: Daughter just turned 13 & has a cell phone w/Texting. How do I monitor the content of
Autumn217

Thanks a lot!!  A Court order?  Wow...that's crazy when I'm just a cautious parent.....but I appreciate the reply!  She's already figured out the art of deleting them before I have a chance to look at them.  LOL  I have already set her time limits - hopefully that helps!

0 Likes
DaniLove13
Contributor - Level 3

The reason a court order is required is because there's always another party involved with text.

And good luck with the time limits!

0 Likes
Re: Daughter just turned 13 & has a cell phone w/Texting. How do I monitor the content of her te
ncmcjm
Enthusiast - Level 2

My stepdaughter is 16 so I know how you feel.  What we do is tell her she cannot delete txts from her phone.  We monitor it which is alot of work but at least we know when she is doing something wrong.  We have caught her a few times deleting and she has had her phone taken for it.  What I do is check the amount of messages she has for the day and compare to online and see if they match.  After checking the number of txts and the txts themselves we delete them so the next day starts fresh.  We also use the usage controls so she cant txt during school and at night when she is doing homework and sleeping.  Hope that helps.  It is alot of work to keep up with the teens these days!

0 Likes