CONTROLLING KIDS TEXTING
madskilz

I switched my kid from T-mobile to Verizon because T-mobile didn't have any phones she liked. They did have a very good service that allowed me to shut my kids phone down at any time - no texting, no calling, etc. Verizon has Useage controls, but with unlimited texting, you can't shut it down. I haven't been able to figure out how to take that privilege away short of taking the phone. I can set times, set useage, but it seems none of it applies if you have unlimited texting/messaging.

We are planning to move our account to Verizon, but now I am re-thinking that if Verizon doesn't have a comparable service to T-Mobile.

Again, I want to log on, shut down my kids texting privilege at any given time - all texting, not just blocking numbers.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: CONTROLLING KIDS TEXTING
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

If you have a family share plan and you have your child as a Secondary line you can put a text message block on their line and it will stop all text messaging, even if they have unlimited. You can do this as often as you need but you'll need to call customer service to do it.

0 Likes
madskilz

I think I read in another post where calling Verizon each time to turn it off and on incurred some additional charges. True?

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

No, there's no charge to simply call them and ask for a text block.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

madskilz wrote:

I think I read in another post where calling Verizon each time to turn it off and on incurred some additional charges. True?

What incurred the charges was the mom that was cancelling the texting plan, then adding it back, then cancelling again the next day, and adding it back; that caused all sorts of confusion with pro-rating texts and overage charges.  (And I didn't realize that's what she was doing till she  posted what had happened - then I realized she was cancelling her plan rather than just blocking texting temporarily   :::sigh:::  never assume.....) Just adding a text block on all messaging does not incur a cost....

0 Likes