Blocking features for younger children
Yiesla

I'm in the process of researching switching from another cell phone carrier to Verizon.  I believe that  I need four lines and I believe that the 700 minute nationwide select plan would be the best.

However, two of these phones will be going to younger children.  While I don't mind them texting, I want to be able to block any access to the Internet and any Internet downloads (in other words any chargeable data access) and I want to block any picture messaging.  Trust my kids, just not all of their friends. Too much sexting and the like going on.

Can I do this?

Thanx...

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Blocking features for younger children
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can request it when you set up your account, and it does need to be done through Customer Service; you can block individual items through MyVerizon, but the total access block is done through customer service.

You asked - "Do you also know if there's a way to allow all texting, but block all Internet access (chargeable data items)?"

The short answer is NO.  I will not put the total access block on our lines because we DO use the picture messaging - to each other, to facebook, kids to and from friends (of course, "kids" in my case is 18 and 21....).  So when a stray MB charge crops up because of an inadvertent menu choice (I have most everything blocked, but browsing the media store just happens now and then) I have been refused a credit because I will not add the total block.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, what you want on those two lines is called a National Access Block or a total data block - it will block all web browsing, downloads, etc, as well as block any picture/video messaging.  It will allow regular text messaging.

0 Likes
Yiesla

Thanx SuzyQ,

Is this something that I handle through My Verizon or is it a call to customer service... although I guess that I'd request that when I set up the plan.

Do you also know if there's a way to allow all texting, but block all Internet access (chargeable data items)?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can request it when you set up your account, and it does need to be done through Customer Service; you can block individual items through MyVerizon, but the total access block is done through customer service.

You asked - "Do you also know if there's a way to allow all texting, but block all Internet access (chargeable data items)?"

The short answer is NO.  I will not put the total access block on our lines because we DO use the picture messaging - to each other, to facebook, kids to and from friends (of course, "kids" in my case is 18 and 21....).  So when a stray MB charge crops up because of an inadvertent menu choice (I have most everything blocked, but browsing the media store just happens now and then) I have been refused a credit because I will not add the total block.

0 Likes
Harley101

how do I block pictures through my account.. as you listed? thanks...

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

Harley101 wrote:

how do I block pictures through my account.. as you listed? thanks...

Just call customer care to do it.

0 Likes