Re: Any way to block spam text using spoofed phone numbers?
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Ok.

Understand that if Verizon starts just blocking texts from reaching you then you run the risk of texts that you want not getting to you. I was pointing out that if you are receiving the unwanted texts with Verizon then porting your number to a different carrier may not solve the issue. You'd be just as likely to receive no blocking services from another carrier. Their job and what you pay for is to make sure that the network delivers your texts and calls. Not the opposite.

The next best suggestion that I can offer is to try TruCaller. It may help this situation.

0 Likes
DukeHazzard
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your advice.  The TruCaller seems like it would only be able to block the apparent (spoofed) number, though, and they are always different.

Even though though the suggestion doesn't solve my particular problem I appreciate you sticking with the thread and trying to find a solution.  If someone from Verizon security took a similar interest they could probably trace the true source and shut them down but I doubt they will apply those resources.  Thank you for your help in the meantime, at least someone is paying attention. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I think you may overestimate what Verizon can and cannot do. Yes, Verizon may be able to trace the source of a text from one of its own customers, but there are multiple cellular providers not to mention texting services from online sources. I don't think Verizon has the authority to go to those providers and force them to let Verizon look at their records. Verizon is not a policing agency, they are a cellular provider.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

DukeHazzard wrote:

Thank you for your advice. The TruCaller seems like it would only be able to block the apparent (spoofed) number, though, and they are always different.

Even though though the suggestion doesn't solve my particular problem I appreciate you sticking with the thread and trying to find a solution. If someone from Verizon security took a similar interest they could probably trace the true source and shut them down but I doubt they will apply those resources. Thank you for your help in the meantime, at least someone is paying attention.

So you block them through True Caller every time they come in. What gets me wondering is why so many people have so many issues with these spam calls and texts. I do not get anywhere near the level of what I hear people complain about. Like, nowhere. I get 1-2 calls a month, maybe that. Maybe in the last year I have gotten 5-6 texts messages. Is your telephone number associated with any social media like Facebook and Twitter? At this point, it is the only thing that I can think of. I don't have my number on these sites.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DukeHazzard, I am really sorry to learn of the unwanted text messages. We are actually listening and will always try to provide as much assistance as we can. This is a tricky one, as I also receive these same types of calls and messages all the time. Because I have been doing this for years, I know not to pass out my number, yet I am getting these calls and messages.

Verizon is committed to protecting the security of all of our customers. It’s one of those things were the advances in technology has made it easy for spammers to circumvent the rules around the “Do Not Call” list. These people can be calling and sending text messages from anywhere in the world and there is little we can do about. We will continue to uplift these reports to our security team, and I recommend that you continue to report any numbers that show up on your phone.

RalphT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
DukeHazzard
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update 9/14/16: Still getting the messages, still reporting them on the FTC website.  New twist is that they now address me by a name, [Removed] (not my name, of course).  Definitely a foreign source as the prices listed are always in "USD" not "$".  The websites linked always vary slightly as well: www.e-totebags.com, www.coach-mall.com, www.ecoach.mobi, www.coachmall.biz, www.coach4.trade, www.coach.se, just to name a few examples. THESE ARE ALL SCAM SITES - DO NOT CLICK THE LINKS!

Thank you RalphT for your input.  I hadn't been sending them to 7266 for a while but I will send another batch today.

Personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Mobostians

7726 not 7266

0 Likes