Settings>Storage>Misc Items High Memory usage
sdrolz
Enthusiast - Level 3

My Ellipsis 7 uses an unusually High amount of memory/storage in the Misc Items area.  2.92 our of 8 total GB  I am unable to view the items that are categorized as Misc Items in storage.  When you click on that item to view details nothing happens.

I'd like to free up this memory space if I can.  Does anyone know how?  Or what types of things are stored under misc items?

My software version is MV7A_41D37_422A.  In a different thread related to storage and memory there was reference to various software version that needed updating.  my particular software version was not listed in that discussion.  I am posting it here in case it helps anyone to answer this question.  No updates are available for my device at this time.

0 Likes
Re: Settings>Storage>Misc Items High Memory usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

sdrolz,

In Android, for the most part your miscelaneous file is going to include "System Data" as the number one user. This will include OS and update information that can not be removed. For examle on my LG G2, System Data is the number one user under Miscelaneous @ 8.27GB.

After that, it's really going to depend on the apps that you use and how they work. Some applications offload storage into this section while others do not. For example, it's common to see the Facebook app on people's phones at several GB in size because it does not have to offload information to miscelaneous, while my Amazon Music app remains at only 89MB as the actual app file size with a 3.94GB file space under miscelaneous, which holds my music.

In general you can't clear things out of miscelaneous and if you could, it would likely make more problems for you than anything else. You may be able to clear cache on some models, however, without affecting performance. Hope this helps.

EricW_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sdrolz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks EricW_VZW

What bugs me is that I cannot click on Misc Items to view what in there is holding so much memory.  On my Droid Turbo, and My LG G2 both allow you to click on misc so you could see individual items with that grouping.  Not so on the Ellipsis 7.  I guess its a wash because you can't do anything about it, but at least I could confirm if something was related to an app I could clear it or uninstall the app or something else to attempt to clear the space.

Anyway, thanks for your response.   

maisielipsis
Enthusiast - Level 1

It’s a fudging dirt show! A shameful disgraceful nonsensical ducking fetid diarrhea of Ebola levels. And people say android is for power users.... my iPad kicks this things butt three ways from sunday in every single way and doesn’t have “minor” hookups like HALF THE DATA BEING OPERATING SYSTEM!!?!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?

0 Likes
KH-Michael
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes