Re: SCAM: Told I get a free tablet with new phone, now being charged $350 for device + $25 a month
Jwarden12

Same thing happened to me and my Dad this year on black Friday.  My parents and my family are on a plan together and we went in on black Friday to the Verizon store in Yankton, SD.  We had questions about our bill and my dad was ready for a new phone.  My Dad got a great deal on a new Samsung phone and then they told us we qualified for a free Samsung watch or tablet.  My dad actually said he wouldn't use either and refused the offer.  The salesman said but it's totally free, and that the tablet wasn't really that great but if there was a kid in the family it's great for just playing games.  So my Dad gave it to my daughter for Christmas.  We had no idea that the tablet even had data capability.  Now we are just see the charges and my Dads gift to my daughter is now costing him more than the tablet is even worth.  We had absolutely no idea we were signing up for any kind of contract.  My Dad went into the store to ask about it today and they said there was nothing they could do.  I've been a customer for over 15 years with Verizon and I'm absolutely shocked by the shady gimmick.  I decided to google this issue to see if we were the only ones and was even more disappointed to see how widespread this is.  Absolutely terrible.  I'll be calling the store myself this week and if this can't be resolved we will be taking our business somewhere else.

0 Likes
Re: SCAM: Told I get a free tablet with new phone, now being charged $350 for device + $25 a month
Sunshine888
Enthusiast - Level 1

When I got my phone I declined knowing it was a scam to make money on the monthly charges.   A year later my husband goes to the store while I am out of town and gets horrid in.  Evidently the device is no good unless you are paying Verizon every month.    You can't even connect to Wifi without paying Verizon some amount.   It will make a nice coaster.  

0 Likes
albertcado

I am dealing with the exact fraudulent situation and I've spoken to the store manager and a verizon customer service representative to no help. I feel absolutely helpless and have lost all trust in Verizon stores whether they be corporate or not, and will look into changing providers if there is no accountability or action taken in regards to this dishonest and horrible business practice. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

albertcado, we would never want to lose your preference, and are truly sorry to hear that you've been through this ordeal with what was supposed to be a free tablet. We'll be sending you a Private Note for further assistance. We understand the need for transparency in communication, and this is far from the experience we want for you.

LauraF_VZW

0 Likes
Thomasdigug

I’ve also been trapped into this scam after asking the sales associate over and over how this iPad could be truly “free” with the purchase of a new phone. He actually told me that we had previously been being overcharged and that this was meant to make up for it. Apparently there was no option to simply lower our bill even though we were being overcharged. So this was a blatant lie and fraudulently lured us in to paying for a new phone line that we didn’t ask for and seems to have been a fairly common practice by Verizon. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Thomasdigug,

We always want to ensure all the proper disclosures are shared before any order. When add a new line of service to an account, there will be a monthly charge for that new line. There are certain promotional incentives to receive a discount off a product when you add a new line. What exactly did you purchase? When was this transaction performed?

ChristopherM_VZW

0 Likes
SirJaiapuurr

I have had the same exact experience, please contact me.

This is not ethical.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want the best for you, SirJaiapuurr, and it is concerning to hear this. We're happy to help figure this out with you. We've sent a Private Note to you, so that we can best help out. 

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want the best for you and it is concerning to hear this. We're happy to help figure this out with you. Please share more specifics about the situation so that we can best help. Also, please confirm your first and last name. To authenticate your account please review the following and then click the link after "Authenticate here":

If you use Messenger or Direct Message to chat with Verizon, your questions and our responses may include info about your account, including Customer Proprietary Network Information (“CPNI”), which is visible to Facebook/Twitter and may be used for their own purposes per their privacy policies (www.facebook.com/about/privacy / www.twitter.com/privacy).

CPNI is info available to Verizon solely by virtue of our relationship with you that relates to the type, quantity, destination, technical configuration, location, and amount of use of the telecommunications and interconnected VoIP services you purchase from us, and related billing info.

Verizon protects your info and does not share info that identifies you personally outside of Verizon except with your consent and as otherwise disclosed in our privacy policy. Your choice here does not affect your Verizon services. To learn more, visit our information collection and privacy policy at verizon.com/privacy.

By clicking the link to continue, you agree to allow us to share your info, including CPNI, in Messenger and Direct Message. To stop sharing info including CPNI, stop using Messenger and Direct Message to chat with us. Contact Facebook and Twitter about your rights, if any, to delete info that was previously shared.

Authenticate here:http://spr.ly/6003Gp4gx

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus
Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.
0 Likes