SCAM: Told I get a free tablet with new phone, now being charged $350 for device + $25 a month
cursedtablet
Enthusiast - Level 1

I went to get a new iPhone at a Verizon store in Los Angeles back in June, and the sales guy told me that they were giving away free tablets (Verizon brand) with every new phone. I refused to believe him and asked this dude, like, literally 20 times if it was actually free with no strings attached or if I would start seeing charges for it on my monthly bill. He told me I would see a new phone number affiliated with the tablet but NO ADDITIONAL COST. No joke I would NOT let this go and asked a billion times, and he assured me that he had already given out a couple dozen of them this week, he promises it's just some special promotion, etc. Just sign on this line (didn't even show me a contract or anything) and I can take home the tablet for FREE! 

Fast forward a couple months and I'm now being charged $25 a month for this tablet that I've LITERALLY NEVER EVEN TURNED ON. I'm SO angry about this. I'm being charged $10 a month for "line access" (again, never used a single bit of data on this stupid butt thing) and another $15 a month to pay off this device that has turned out to be $350. I'm LIVID. Do not accept a tablet for "free," it's a complete and utter scam. I can't believe Verizon allows this kind of thing, they should be totally ashamed. 

Labels (1)
Re: SCAM: Told I get a free tablet with new phone, now being charged $350 for device + $25 a month
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am shocked to hear about the experience you had at the store. This is never the experience we want you to have. We always want to make sure that we set the right expectations when purchasing a tablet. I would like to investigate this further for you and help. I have sent you a private note.  AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
Re: SCAM: Told I get a free tablet with new phone, now being charged $350 for device + $25 a month
lvac6703
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same thing happened to me! Was assured and reassured many times that the iPad was free-totally free, and then find out that Im being charged a monthly service fee for this free iPad for two years. Total scam! Verizon should be sued to have this stop, and thinking of calling my state's attorney general to complain.

deloused
Master - Level 3

If you're only being charged a monthly service fee for the line, then the tablet is still free. Learn to read what you sign!

bmull67
Enthusiast - Level 1

Had the same experience in Brooklyn at the Kings Plaza store with a Samsung tablet. In the process of returning the device but i'm already out over a $100. Very deceitful practice. Surpised as I've been a Verizon customer for opver 20 years and have always been satisfied with service and support. 

bmull67
Enthusiast - Level 1

And, no, I did not sign anything that said I woould be charged an actication fee, insurance, table access fee, etc. 

jims007
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm a senior who was scammed by a Victra store pretending to be a legitimate Verizon store.

Our Free iPad? Showing as a 485 dollar charge in our Verizon account!

Plus a phone line We Never Were Even Told about!

I'm talking to the district attorney about this, as it is apparently a systematic and ongoing fraudulent practice. 

Elder Abuse and stealing from unsuspecting long time Verizon customer? Wow.

Will be contacting Local TV consumer reporter on Monday.

Most despicable practice, ever. Defrauding senior citizens.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi jimstinnett. I just sent you a private message so we can review this in more detail.

AnthonyC_VZW

suttonbaym
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yup, same here. My "deal" was a $200 tablet for $40. A salesman at the Verizon store at 41st & Western in Sioux Falls, SD talked me into the Verizon Tablet Scam. Yes, I fell for it so it's on me and I had to pay the $50 re-stocking fee to boot. I went in for a phone replacement, said I wanted a cheaper version of my current phone (meaning why would I want anything extra) and told him the model. He was gone a good 10 minutes, then came back with a Samsung Tab A 8 and a convincing story that this was a leftover black Friday deal that just happened to work with my new phone. He said all the refiguring he did on my bill and with the deal, this tablet would cost me $40 or so, essentially a free tablet he said. He also mumbled something about extra cellular data and wouldn't that be good. He said none of this would take effect right away (meaning my receipt was massively confusing) I paid the $130 ish for god knows what and I left with way more than I went in for. As I configured the tablet I saw a new phone number, called Verizon and they said yes, the tablet had to have its own phone number and that would be $10 a month extra. Then I saw the 24 months, $8.18 per month charge and realized I had been had. A "free" $200 tablet. No discount, no $40 tablet, I fell for the Verizon tablet scam that is all over the internet. Someone on Reddit said, "I've learned to never buy a phone in a store again." Yup. I for SURE won't go in that store ever again. Really good chance we will change phone companies too. For charging me another $50 for restocking, I am going to put a bad review of this store on every review website I can find. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

suttonbaym, this is never the interaction we want any of our customers to have. We certainly never want to see you go. I have sent a private message; please review at your earliest convenience.

TionnaB_VZW

0 Likes