Jetpack excessive and fraudulent data usage
AggieInShanghai
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is very disappointing that Verizon is not addressing this issue which continues for many people (see multiple posts). We bought a Jetpack a few days ago and have had the following issues:

1-Excessive data usage (not our usage even though we are password protected)

2-Data usage when the device is not even on (over 200 minutes before we turned it on the first time)

3-It does not show the data usage ... it just says "data usage information not available now"

4-Called Verizon and said it is accurate, which is completely wrong

5-In less than 7 days, somehow we have used 10GB of data even though it is turned on only a few minutes a day

The biggest issue of all is that Verizon is not addressing the problem. Therefore, I will return the Jetpack today and not go back to Verizon. It is not that there is a problem, there are always issue, it is how you handle the problem that counts. After several calls and no call backs as promised by Verizon, we are giving up.

Labels (1)
Re: Jetpack excessive and fraudulent data usage
MichelleJ627
Enthusiast - Level 1

I experienced the same problem, and so have MANY OTHER VALUABLE MEMBERS of the Verizon Clientele! Pay BIG BUCKS for the PRODUCT, BIG BUCKS to add the line and ACTIVATE it, turn it on for 30 MINUTES AND ALL MY DATA IS USED!!  I do not even have a Smart Phone!  I took it to Buffalo when I needed an MRI and tried to access my business time sheets.  THIRTY MINUTES and my son, who was home using my WI FI texted me, stating that a message that his data was at 90 percent, and he was bot using it!    I ALSO had the "intelligent VERIZON customer service" tell me that Jet packs are only good for cell phone, not tablets or laptops!!      VERIZON SHOULD BE HONORABLE ENOUGH TO MAKE THIS RIGHT!  I cannot afford this!

mama23dogs
Legend

What no one understands is a mifi/jet pack is a cellular data connection, and your computers will see it like any other router.  They will do updates and downloads in the background you may, or may not be aware of.    Surfing the net will use up far more data on a connected laptop than a tablet or phone.  The bigger the screen, the more data is used to create the images.  Add to that the amount of spam you see on laptops, less on tablets and much less on phones.  Each add in the margin of you laptop, especially if animated, is sucking data.

*Just like any other cellular device, it has software connecting it to the network.  This software will have updates to perform and will use your data to do so.  This may account for data use out of the box.

IT would be easy to use 10 GBs in a day if you have a couple devices connected.  Facebook uses about 1 GB in an hour with video, images and margin ads.  Don't leave it running in the background.  Netflix, Hulu etc, use about 2 GBs an hour for high def video.

THe meter in your jet pack should be within a couple hundred MBs of Verizon's totals.  Rounding errors and delayed reporting can schew the numbers.

I Do recommend you return it because it is not care free internet use - it's stressful.  Every time it's on it will represent a cash drain.

I Don't agree that it is fraud or manipulation on the carriers side.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let’s drill down to see what is contributing to this data usage, AggieInShanghai.
What are the devices that connect to the MiFi?
If a computer is one of them, then what operation system is being used (Windows 10/ 7/ Vista) ? The reason for wanting that detail is that the computer would have a  task manager that will tell you what running in the background. We can begin to help put a stop to it.
Another common contributor to usage are any cloud based backup services like Verizon Cloud or iCloud. Do any devices use backup programs?

DavidH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BcCaveman
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know the problem. Verizon just sucked another 75 bucks out of me to raise my data allowance. We normally use 5 to 6 gigs a month for the last 2 years. Three weeks ago it showed we used 17gigs in a 6 hour period. we don't leave the computer on when not in use and Verizon told me I must have been running a backup. I had our phones off and the computer off because when VERIZON SAID WE USED THE GIGS WE WERE SLEEPING. They said the usage was between 11 PM and 5AM in the morning.  VERIZON IS NO HELP AND WE WILL BE LEAVING THEM IN SEPTEMBER AFTER BEING CUSTOMERS FOR OVER 8 YEARS. THIS IS HOW THEY TREAT LOYAL CUSTOMERS. I'M TELLING EVERYONE I KNOW TO GET AWAY FROM VERIZON OR DON'T START.

mama23dogs
Legend

BcCaveman wrote:

I know the problem. Verizon just sucked another 75 bucks out of me to raise my data allowance. We normally use 5 to 6 gigs a month for the last 2 years. Three weeks ago it showed we used 17gigs in a 6 hour period. we don't leave the computer on when not in use and Verizon told me I must have been running a backup. I had our phones off and the computer off because when VERIZON SAID WE USED THE GIGS WE WERE SLEEPING. They said the usage was between 11 PM and 5AM in the morning.  VERIZON IS NO HELP AND WE WILL BE LEAVING THEM IN SEPTEMBER AFTER BEING CUSTOMERS FOR OVER 8 YEARS. THIS IS HOW THEY TREAT LOYAL CUSTOMERS. I'M TELLING EVERYONE I KNOW TO GET AWAY FROM VERIZON OR DON'T START.

I Must post this once a week.

Data is not reported at the moment used. 

Devices Connect to towers and start the meter running for that IMEI/ESN and SIM card. 

THe meter stops for that device when it disconnects. 

Once the device disconnects, the tower reports data used back to computers and to your account.  This can take several hours or days if roaming.

Because this is how data is recorded, it will always report the data AFTER you have turned the devices off.  Which is usually when people are asleep for the night.   

FOr the record, I am a 2 time ex pat with ATT now and I see the same complaint on their forum and write the same explanation.