10 Device limit in a smart home environment
ccornett
Enthusiast - Level 1

You can't imagine how excited we were to finally have an unlimited broadband solution with decent speed in our rural life.  We can finally trash our extremely unreliable DSL line.  Now I discover that I can connect our roughly 30 smart devices with the new LTE Home Internet router, due to the 10 device limit.  These are light bulbs, thermostat, and 'smart' speakers, using very little bandwidth, but have to be connected to the internet.  Is there no solution for this?  I have been looking at adding an upstream router, but that doesn't seem to change the client count when it comes to getting on the internet.  Why do I get the feeling that Verizon will offer me a proprietary solution for an additional monthly fee soon?

Labels (1)
Re: 10 Device limit in a smart home environment
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As a valued customer your concerns are our concerns too. Having access to reliable Home Internet service for your devices is essential and we're happy to offer our customers our LTE Home Internet Service. Being able to connect your 30 smart devices is very important and having access to Internet service is required. We'd be more than glad to explore alternatives with you. Please check your Inbox as we’ve sent a Private Message to you regarding on this topic:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/inbox

RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
mjhuston01

If I am reading this correctly, there was no mention of only 10 devices when I recently signed up. Is that accurate?

0 Likes
nic3456
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can you also send that to me and/or post here for everyone? This is a widespread issue

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want you to have the right expectations, mjhuston01. The LTE Home Internet supports up to 10 devices on 2.4 Ghz WIFI and up to 30 devices on 5 Ghz WIFI.

0 Likes
Jeffem
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is there no way to go beyond 10 2.4 Ghz devices?  That is not mentioned in any of the advertisements or research I did before ordering this.  We live in a rural area and our internet is not the greatest but functional - we thought this would be an upgrade.  When the unit arrived I very happy with the performance until I hit the 10 device limit - that took a bit of digging to find out that this was the issue with poor connectivity of some of my devices.  If there are no other options I will have to return this.   Great idea - poor execution on functionality if limited to 10 devices.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize if you were not away of the capabilities of the Verizon 4G LTE Router, Jeffem. We make every effort to be transparent about our devices' capabilities. Please confirm that you can simultaneously connect up to 10 devices via WiFi on number 13 at this link (https://www.verizon.com/support/verizon-lte-internet-and-home-phone-faqs/). 

AntonioC_VZW

0 Likes
BobC33
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am experiencing precisely these issues with my newly installed LTE Home Internet service. I have an existing smart home with about 40 devices operating on the 2.4Ghz band and 8 on the 5Ghz band. Currently, I am being limited to about 22 total devices. If I disconnect one device another will connect, back-and-forth, like a game of musical chairs.

I want to be crystal this is a major restriction for my smart home that was not well disclosed prior to purchase. OOPs...surprise!

Although I am quite happy with the speed and functionality of the service overall, if there is no work around for this device limit issue, it looks may be a show stopper for me.

I find it difficult to believe that increasing the number of devices on the 2.4Ghz band to a more reasonable limit is somehow going to swamp Verizon's 4G LTE network.

So Verizon reps are these limitations set in stone?

I would appreciate a reasonable answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, BobC33. Thank you for messaging us about your concern with the device limitations for the installed LTE Home Internet. The device is limited to connecting to 20 devices, and 4 devices through Ethernet cables (wired connection). We don't have the ability to change the limitations. We hope this information is helpful.   CassieG_VZW

0 Likes
davidmt65
Enthusiast - Level 1

If the company that makes the router enable a firmware update, It would be possible to add more connected devices to the 2.4 ghz. Even if Verizon still wants limit number 20 or 30 devices it should be able to take some 5ghz, since so many plugs, bulbs and thermostat work with 2.4ghz.