Re: We are waiting for "Android 4.1 JB", When is it coming?
KLRSKIR
Enthusiast - Level 3

Personally, the coverage a carrier offers is far more important to me than ice cream or candy. I guess it's one of the downsides to living in a relatively rural area.

0 Likes
wkavan02
Contributor - Level 1

Not even the Timely Updates Agreement, announced at Google I/O 2011, is any sort of legal obligation for software updates.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Timely is subjective. The promise is from Google and not the actually manufacturers or carriers. When it comes to software it is never timely.

0 Likes
shirke
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe we'll see it in September.

0 Likes
wkavan02
Contributor - Level 1

Wrong. BOTH the carriers AND the manufacturers made the agreement with Google. And timely is NOT subjective, since they define it in the agreement as being any updates to the OS released in the first eighteen months of a device's availability, so long as the hardware can support it. It's not legally-binding, obviously, but they're all on the record as having agreed to it.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/10/google-partners-with-oems-and-carriers-to-guarantee-android-upda/

0 Likes
We are waiting for "Android 4.1 JB", When is it coming?
Tidbits
Legend

Sorry Engadget really?

Look of the definition of timely, and understand the upgrade process.  If it takes Google 8 months to bring out an update(Jellybean) that only gives you 1 update for every device within that 18 months.  See the trend here?  So if a manufacturer takes 6-8 months then that is TIMELY.  If they do it before that then it's exceptional.

0 Likes
gernerttl
Contributor - Level 1

For all of you impatient people out there.  Here are the binaries...go get if you want.

>Link deleted to comply with VZW Community ToS<

The reason it took so long for 4.0.4 was that Google and Verizon didn't have an AOSP.  Now that they have renewed it, 4.1 should roll out quicker for Verizon phones.  The orientation sensor and the CDMA/LTE stuff are proprietary.  Without the AOSP, Google just couldn't arbitrarily send out updates.  Before whining and complaining, you should do this little thing called RESEARCH..

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
We are waiting for "Android 4.1 JB", When is it coming?
Tidbits
Legend

I remember a time where the Nexus S 4G got 3 updates that the Nexus S didn't...  So Google isn't all that "timely" themselves. 

0 Likes
gernerttl
Contributor - Level 1

If people would actually pay attention.  The GSM and the CDMA/LTE versions got 4.0.4 around the same time.  The CDMA/LTE version got 4.0.2 before the GSM version and not all of the GSM version phones got that update.

4.0.3 was never released at all.

Obtw, if you think Verizon will be slow...try asking a Sprint Nexus owner.  The AOSP does not include Sprint.

0 Likes
carseller0822
Contributor - Level 3

After sending the obligatory "When are we getting the update" emails. I received this response. I think I might have hit a nerve with the last email. I think "George" is getting tired of me.

<Email address removed per the .>

Good evening, Randy.

This is George and I do not use excuses. I use truth.  I know you are not alone in feeling that Verizon is "dragging their feet" on this update to the software.  I have no specific date for release nor would I try to invent one just to lead you on.  You are not asking for dismissive answers.

HSPA + is different from LTE/CDMA (Verizon's network), so the update available to one carrier will not necessarily work on another.  That's it, that's the simple truth. 

The same model phone needs one type of programming to work on HSPA+ and another type to work on LTE/CDMA.  Therefore, any software update for an Android phone will need input from the manufacturer, Google, and the carrier.

I will not pretend to know which, if any, of those three parties are "dragging their feet", Randy.  Please check for the new software directly from your phone at your convenience so that you will be one of the first to get it when it becomes available.

Sincerely,

George

Verizon Wireless

Customer Service

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes