Re: PLEASE HELP!
Indianchief
Contributor - Level 1

Lrshearer......Shut down both your computer and your phone.  Wait one minute and then restart your computer.  For some reason Vista seems to get files mixed up and you should reboot it daily.  On your computer go to control panel..programs..programs and features...scroll down to see if there is any Verizon program....if there is, highlite it and uninstall it.  Reboot your computer.  Now turn on your phone and  plug in the usb cable to your phone and to your computer.  Vista will load a driver if it hasn't already.  On your phone it should come up and show two buttons, media or mass storage.  Click mass storage.  Now wait....wait ....wait...wait.... until the usb symbol shows up in your annotation bar. If anything from Verizon comes up on your computer, click no to the install and/X out of it.   Pull down the annotation bar and click on usb connected.  Then click on mount.  Your removable disk should now come up on your screen and also in My Computer.  When you are done, pull down your annotation bar and click turn off on your usb storage/turn off .  Then disconnect your cable.  You do not need any new drivers or anything from Verizon/Samsung for this to work.  Windows Vista has the drivers it needs to do this.  (I just did this on my laptop (Vista) that had never been hooked up to my phone and it worked perfectly. Hope this helps.  If not, Ann's suggestion to email sounds like the only option if you have a faulty phone.  Have a nice day. 

0 Likes
Re: USB Connection Not Recognized
JJHan
Enthusiast - Level 2
You could also ftp files from the pc to your
Phone using something like swiftp on the phone.
0 Likes
HarleyDrifter
Contributor - Level 1

I too have had a similar experience after the DL09 update, but I've been able to correct the problem.  First of all, this is how I connected before the update and I wrote these instructions for myself:  (btw I don't use Autorun)

1. Set phone to mass storage:  Go to Menu > Settings > USB Settings > USB Mode > Mass Storage > Home.
  2. Assuming that you have a PC go to either Computer or My Computer.  Note which devices are present, for example DVD Drive (F) or maybe Flash Drive (G).
  3. Connect the cable to your phone / PC.  Note a new device should now be visible on your PC.  Mine came up as Removable Disk (I).  I later renamed this device drive to  Fascinate (I) .
  4. Pick up the phone and go to Notifications > USB Connected > Mount.
  5. Back to the PC click on Removable Disk ( ) > DCIM > Camera.  You will see all of your picture and video files here.  You can view, send to, move, edit, copy, delete, mail, play, or whatever, right from here if you want.

Testing after the update:

• After connecting the cable "Media Sync Connecting" showed up in Notifications instead of "USB Connected".  Also the option to "Mount" wasn't available.
  • Instead of the "Fascinate (I) drive showing up I got this: "CD Drive (G) Verizon Mobile", which contained these (4) files: Autorun.inf, ModelName.txt, Samsung_Mobile_USB_Driver.exe, and ToolLauncher-Bootstrap.exe.  I did not click on or install any of these files.
  • After 30 seconds the drive changes itself from "CD Drive (G) Verizon Mobile" to just "CD Drive (G): and the contents are no longer available.

After connecting/reconnecting the cable several times and not being able to mount the phone I went into the Fascinate's settings and unselected/reselected mass storage.  Once I did that the next time that I connected the cable, I watched the drive come up as before, except this time after 30 seconds it changed to say "Fascinate (I)" like it should.  The USB symbol showed up in the notifications window and I was able to mount.  I've since repeated this about ten times and it's worked every time.  The only difference now is I have to wait for 30 seconds for the USB symbol to show up before I can mount.

Again, I want to point out that I did not install the two execution files (USB Driver and Tool Launcher) but can do that later if I need to. 

0 Likes
jgpjoe98366

I am having the same issue. My computer won't recognize the phone so I can't add files, music etc.

0 Likes
scanrman

What does one do if your computer will not recognize the phone at all? I've tried everything suggested with no luck.

0 Likes
MaxBuck
Contributor - Level 1

In my case, the computer recognizes the phone for a fraction of a second, then doesn't.  None of the "fixes" suggested here have worked for me, unfortunately.

0 Likes
HarleyDrifter
Contributor - Level 1

Hey guys, go check out the thread titled Driver Information and read Noah's post.  Make sure that mass storage is selected and even if it is, unselect it and then reselect it again.  Also, if you are expecting something to just pop up on your desktop after you connect, it may not happen.  Go to computer or my computer first and watch for it to pop up under devices.  Once the drive pops up there you still have to wait 30 seconds before the USB symbol shows up in the phones notification bar, at which point you should be able to drag it down and mount.

0 Likes
scanrman

Nothing in this thread has worked. Being computer saavy, I am well aware of the wait times needed as some users have experienced but I could wait for a week and my computer still does not recognize the phone. The phone and computer worked very well together before the last OTA update and now it's useless. I travel and work on customer sites very often, and use a program [Edited to comply with Terms of Service] to tether my phone to my computer and connect to the internet rather than using other methods. Now this is useless too.

0 Likes
firstlady09
Contributor - Level 3

scanrman wrote:

Nothing in this thread has worked. Being computer saavy, I am well aware of the wait times needed as some users have experienced but I could wait for a week and my computer still does not recognize the phone. The phone and computer worked very well together before the last OTA update and now it's useless. I travel and work on customer sites very often, and use a program [Edited to comply with Terms of Service] to tether my phone to my computer and connect to the internet rather than using other methods. Now this is useless too.

I would recommend for you to do a factory reset on your device. The factory reset will resolve your issue with the computer not recognizing your phone. Be sure to back up your contacts and remove your sd card before performing the factory reset. Performing a hard reset will remove ALL data including the Google account, system data, application data, application settings, and downloaded applications. Here are the steps to completing the factory reset below.

• From a home screen, select Applications.
  • Select Settings.
  • Select Privacy.
  • Select Factory data reset.
  • Select Reset phone.
  • If presented, enter the current passcode or draw the unlock pattern.
  • Select Erase everything.

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=35372#pre

0 Likes
scanrman

For those users that are still unable to have their computer recognize their Fascinate, I am happy to report that after working with the local Sales/Service person in Hilton Head, SC (let's call him R.E.) I am now able to successfully connect and transfer files between my computer and phone.

R.E. worked diligently with me and my phone to get the problem resolved. Here are the steps we took:

1. Make sure you use the USB cable that came with your Fascinate. Although I have not been able to find any documentation regarding this, but apparently Android USB cables are different from other micro-usb cables such as those that come with blackberrys and bluetooth headsets.

2. Check your USB settings as mentioned in previous posts. Go to Settings>USB Settings> Make sure Mass Storage is selected. If you get a message that Debugging is turned on, turn it off before selecting Mass Storage.

3. Next, go to Settings>Applications>Development> Select USB Debugging and Stay Awake options.

4. Now.... if you have access to a computer other than the one you have been trying to connect to, go to that computer an plug the usb cable into it. If all is well, you will get a message on the computer that some sort of Installer is wanting to install. Select it and then wait for it to connect.

5. Once connected you should be able to drag down the notifier screen on your phone and Mount the SD Card.

Apparently, for whatever reason, my phone would not "kick in" the installer program mentioned in Step 4 until I connected it to an entirely different computer. For our purposes, R.E. connected my Fascinate to one of his Display netbooks in the Verizon store. Once this installer kicked in on his computer, I was able to then sucfcessfully connect my Fascinate to MY computer and the Installer program started up on it just as it should in Step 4.

Thank you R.E. ... your time and efforts have made me a happy camper once again.

0 Likes