Samsung Galaxy Nexus won't update to 4.04
TURNandBURN13

Last night I got a notification that there was a system update to Ice Cream Sandwich.  I allowed it to install, and the first step of install is to reboot the phone.  The phone reboots to a black screen with a white Google logo...and just stays there...I thought it was doing it's "thing" so I allowed it to stay in this mode for 2 hours.  I finally gave up and couldn't restart the phone, only thing I can do to restart phone is by pulling out the battery.  I've tried multiple times now all with the same result. 

My phone is not unlocked/rooted.

Please help Verizon...or anyone!!!  Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus won't update to 4.04
slimb9

you cant install the update if you have a custom recovery which i am assuming you have because of the status of your phone(r..t)

0 Likes
TURNandBURN13

I don't have a custom recovery.  I've never uploaded any app of that nature.  So unless this is preloaded with Verizon, I don't have a custom recovery.  Also, my phone is not rooted or unlocked.  My phone is pretty simple, just use it to surf the web, text, play some games. That's about it.

Are you having troubles updating?  Currently, my phone isn't trying to update anymore and actually tells me that I'm on the most current version at 4.0.2.

0 Likes
Drew69

My Galaxy Nexus is doing the same thing.  I initiated install, and it just displayed Google.  Overnight, so I gave it enough time.  You have to take out battery and reboot to get the phone working again, but it then forever prompts you to do the install, and I'm forever selecting not now, because I know the install doesn't work.  My phone isn't rooted or anything like that.

0 Likes
nexus_truth
Enthusiast - Level 3

There is only one solution that I think may help you. You'll have to do a factory reset and then install the update. If that doesn't work you'll have to take your phone back to Verizon and have it replaced.

0 Likes
slimb9

im sorry i completely misread your post.  i am completely stock also and updated fine.  i believe nexus truth may be right in doing a factory reset.  or if you dont want to go that route try deleting some apps that may be causing some kind of conflict with the install

0 Likes
Drew69

Well, it appears taking out the battery AND Sim card, putting them back in and restarting does away with the notification that the new update is ready to install.  Good luck.

0 Likes
brash

Having the same problem, Gnexus is straight out of the box from verizon store. Downloads the update, verifys the update, I choose reboot and install, it restarts with the Google screen and stays there.  Ive tried the revovery mode and it also stops at the Google screen.  Help !!

0 Likes
Drew69

At Brash, I saw in another post - Verizon confirmed its a firmware defect and your'e eligible for a replacement.  Otherwise, take out sim card and battery, reboot with without simcard.  Then power off, re-insert simcard and battery and reboot.  That should do aware with the nagging update notification.  At least it worked for me.

0 Likes
nbecker

Mine won't update but has tried to twice.  It is rooted but bootloader not unlocked.

Each time it tried it shows an android lying down with an '!' sign, don't know if that's supposed to be an error indication.

It always reboots by itself, but still is running 4.0.2.

How do I know if I need a replacement phone with updated firmware?

0 Likes