Receiving no cell service...at all
mhs9090

Hi all,

For some strange reason, my Samsung Galaxy Nexus has stopped receiving cell service completely.  The reception icon in the top right hand corner of the screen is totally empty.  When I got to the Data Usage option under settings, the button that normally allows the user to toggle data on and off is missing- like so:

Phone data issue pic.png

I think it's strange that this button just seemed to vanish- leading me to believe that this may be a software issue.

I tried a factory reset to no avail.  The people at the Verizon store instructed me to order a new phone, but I would rather not pay the $99 insurance deductible.  I set a mobile data limit to just above 2 GB.  I don't believe that I crossed this limit, but maybe this has something to do with the problem, even though I am receiving no cell reception- not just 4G.  As you can see from the picture, I can still access WiFi, so I don't think this is a hardware issue.

A small thing to note- for the past couple days (until just a few minutes ago), my phone kept restarting every couple minutes.

Can anyone explain this strange problem?  A part of me feels like I am just overlooking some small setting that I may have accidentally switched on/off, but I cannot seem to identify an explanation.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Likes
Re: Receiving no cell service...at all
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is your signal levels? Settings > about phone > status

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mhs9090

0 dBm 99 asu

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

What troubleshooting have you done? Reboot the phone? Toggle airplane mode for a minute or two? Pull the battery and SIM card for a few minutes then reassemble to boot up the phone?

I would try a new SIM card before factory resetting or replacing the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mhs9090

Tried pulling the battery out, as well as airplane mode.  Neither worked. I'm not sure if removing the SIM card will allow me to get reception because WiFi still seems to work.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The SIM card doesn't control the wifi radio. You can use a wifi connection without a SIM card in the device.

0 Likes