New G4 Being advertised
BernieJ

Will the G4 network be available to all Facinate Owners to replace current G3 when available?

0 Likes
Re: New G4 Being advertised
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

if you mean 4g network.  no

from what ive read its diff technology, gsm based not cdma.

so you will most likely need a new phone

0 Likes
Swliles89

He is completely right on his assumption.The Fascinate and other phones of the sort have a totally different radio,called CDMA,so we're kinda out on a limb here unless Verizon does some serious backwards engineering on the CDMA.

0 Likes
JoshuaYP

The original version of Galaxy S is GSM/CDMA...

I wonder why they changed to only CDMA for Verizon...

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

afaik, the european galaxy S only has a GSM radio.  The US Vibrant and Captivate are GSM, Epic 4G is dual mode cdma/wimax and the Facinate is cdma. 

0 Likes
JoshuaYP

Original is not European -_-;; I meant the Korean one... SHW-M110S which has both WCDMA / GSM network

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

WCDMA isn't our kind of CDMA though.  Guess it's technically CDMA based but used in GSM networks.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

JoshuaYP wrote:

Original is not European -_-;; I meant the Korean one... SHW-M110S which has both WCDMA / GSM network

Actually, the "original" (i.e. first to market) was the European version. This does not mean that all of the versions(European and US/GSM & CDMA) were not being developed together or in parallel.

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

4G, not G4, will ONLY be compatable with new phones realeased with a 4G radio. the radios are significantly different from even current GSM radios. what does this mean? NO CURRENT PHONES, BESIDES THE FEW 4G PHONES WILL BE COMPATIBLE WITH THE 4G NETWORK.

0 Likes
JoshuaYP

rcschnoor wrote:

Actually, the "original" (i.e. first to market) was the European version. This does not mean that all of the versions(European and US/GSM & CDMA) were not being developed together or in parallel.

First in market in Europe and not in S. Korea? Are you kidding me?  SHW-M110S (SK Telecom) is the first Galaxy S Father of all other Galaxy S models... and for sure this model leaked out to Europe before Samsung launching the I9000 which is Europe model. And am pretty sure it was being developed after few months to be used in other countries.
PS am going out of topic sry...

0 Likes