Gave up, returned, charged restocking fee
leverlock

Well folks I've been doing all the research, trying to make the best decision like many of you and after as much "testing" as I can do I've finally given up on having this phone and now must consider my options. I'm in my 14 day window coming over from AT&T and with the switch I'm activating 4 smartphones with Verizon. I was hoping to make this my first Android phone having been an apple user for the last 2 years and for reasons I don't need to go into here I was really excited with the prospects of stepping away from iPhone to give the GNex and the new OS a try. However...

I was unable to really acquire even a 3G signal at my house sitting in the living room on the main floor. The vzw coverage map shows that I should have 4G here and definitely 3G. First call to tech support did all the usual resets with no real changes on signal. And when I say "signal" I mean the phone's ability to actually do something with data. I'm not one to fixate on the signal bar and I simply try to open a web browser, open a few sites and run a speed test to measure upload/download speed. I even went outside my home and walked around the yard to see if I could do any better. Once I was able to get a bar of 3G for a very short time. Tried to open the browser- webpage not avail, speedtest- couldn't complete. Got the communication issues error message. Next I wonder just where this phone will actually work on 3G and if I'm lucky 4G. So I print a map of my town and set out to drive my favorite roads to the places I usually go, stopping at intervals to record my connection results. What I found out is pretty simple. Unless this phone is fairly close to a tower it will not work in 4G mode. And, apparently, it will have a hard time switching to 3G as it seems to be trying to resolve operation in 4G. I make that last statement because of this finding: I was about to box it up after an hour of comparing it to a Razr where the Razr could show 2-3 bars of 3G and open web pages and complete a speed test and I thought I'd dig into the settings again for another look and decided to switch off the CDMA/LTE in favor of CDMA only. I had tried that on the first day and it had no effect. But this time the GNex liked that. It almost immediately found the 3G signal and it then could load a web page and complete a speed test. Sigh.

Well, there are other details but this is getting long so suffice-it-to-say that if you are ok with digging into the settings and switching the network mode manually you might get this thing to work better than what most of us have been experiencing. I'm not in for any more frustration so I returned the phone today. Oh, and by the way, the other smartphones are iPhone 4S's and they have 2-3 bars 3G, usually staying on 3 in the same living room I had the issues with on the GNex. And of course, open web pages and speedtest results are good, better than the razr (in 3G) as I recall but that could have been environmental since those tests were done a day apart.

So the icing on the cake is, and I'd like your opinion, is should I think it to be ok that Verizon charges a restocking fee on a phone that they acknowledge has issues. Most of us agree that a software fix to change how the signal strength is displayed will do nothing to fix the radio issue and real world actual data transmit and receive. I'm not likely to consider wasting too much of my time further arguing for a credit of that restocking fee but I find it aggravating that Verizon would handle this issue in this manner. I've searched quite a bit (next will be a phone call) for a copy of the "worry free guarantee". I'd like to read exactly what that means and how it relates to defective phones. Perhaps that is where the problem lies... to get a phone exchanged without a restocking fee it must be so defective that it is "dead". In this case "defective" is a bit of a grey area so we end up being tagged just a bunch of whiny customers with expectations set too high. Thoughts?

0 Likes
Re: Gave up, returned, charged restocking fee
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

A restocking fee will always be charged when a phone is returned within the 14 days grace period. I believe that the only time it isn't is if the phone is returned in less than three days of purchase. The full text of the return policy is available in a link at the bottom of the Verizon Wireless website.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I noticed you spoke of data connection issues but I am wondering if the call reception a problem also? If you are experiencing issues with call signal also then I would say that you may be on a border or a coverage area because this has been a problem some run into but I also have to point out that Samsung devices sometimes give users issues with holding a quality signal.

Another thing you may not depend on Speedtest software or sites to evaluate data quality because they are not reliable on true data speeds.

From what I have read it simply sounds like you may have chose the wrong device for you and your area because not all devices radios are create equal, if you are still in the 14 days and you choose to change device you usually don't get the restock fee but if you return device and cancel the contract in this time you will get charged the restock fee.  My suggestion is that you consider a HTC device because I have always had better radio quality with their products.

Another option to consider if you like the device you have now you could investigate Verizon's Network Extender at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?&action=gotoFemtocell to improve signal at the house.

Hope you figure out a solution that works for you..

0 Likes
ghyrome
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you purchased the sGnV with American Express, you might be able to dispute the re-stocking fee.  Go to Statements & Activity>Dispute or Inquire about a charge.

0 Likes
fadec
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ive been so disappointed in this phone, I want to like it so bad but im struggling. I too am having reception trouble. I switched from the droid x, which was a terrific phone but was wanting to uprade, i got caught up in the gnex hype.

My problem is that i am unable to use my phone in the two places that i am in the most; my house and my office. I never had trouble with call reception with the droid x. I too am sceptical as to whether this software update that they are saying is coming is going to help.

Im returning mine and my wifes tomorrow, im flip flopping between the razor and the iphone 4s...any input on this

0 Likes
leverlock

Thank you. I will look for the link and check out the "fine print" on the return policy. From the posts I've read around the net the policy is more like a guideline and depending on what store you visit and whom you deal with decides exactly how they handle some of the issues. Check out the filings on http://www.consumeraffairs.com/ you will be amazed at the stories these folks have to tell. I'm not for a minute suggesting that each and every person is telling the whole story exactly as it happened but after awhile you just have to start to wonder... perhaps if we had all the "good" experiences people have then we would have something to compare with.

0 Likes
leverlock

Thanks for the advice. I did ask the folks at the store which phones had a reputation for being better in fringe areas but Samsung was actually their choice. *sigh* I think I could have almost been talked into trying another GNex but was warned it would not be returnable. Go figure. I think I might check out Apple's return policy. My hunch is if I buy my phone at the Apple store and it is defective then they will exchange it without charging a fee. I could be wrong but I'm going to look into that. When I did have a problem with an older AT&T iPhone the apple store hooks it up and runs diagnostics. Apparently the verizon stores can't do that. I didn't want another iPhone this time; wanted to give android a try but I'm not interested in being frustrated for months on end. Thanks again.

0 Likes
leverlock

Well, here is where I'm at... and I've commented on a few posts this evening... I'm heading back toward the iPhone path. As much as I wanted to throw some money the android way and as much as I wanted to learn this OS I don't think I can put up with any more frustration right now. I did have some of that with Apple when they said their new iOS5 would work on the earlier phones (3GS) and iPad 1 but that upgrade made my devices pretty bad. Slow to respond, laggy, bigger battery drain, etc. But anyway... the 4S my wife is now using (on VZW) is quite snappy and picks up a good signal. It is getting 3 bars where the GNex usually had none or maybe 1 but never lasted. Now add this line of thinking: If you buy your iPhone from the Apple store I think your customer service experience might be better as well. And I mean if you have issues with the phone. It seems to me that with VZW you get 1 chance to return (+fee) and the second phone you're stuck with. At least that is what I was told. I'm assuming with Apple they will exchange the phone (no fee) and if you do have problem they will at least hook it up and run diagnostics right there in front of you. I had them do that for me on a 3GS. Again, I'm not sold completely on either OS and really wanted to give android a try. Just not sure its time to play beta tester for the 4G network or this hardware. I may wait to see what this new LG Spectrum looks like. Although everywhere I read there are few people who like phones from LG. But the specs indicate it will have a great screen, removable battery and upgradable memory for starters. Good luck getting things worked out.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Not all devices are for everyone, you have to figure what works best for you....

0 Likes
fadec
Enthusiast - Level 2

Stupid me for thinking i could buy the latest and greatest Verizon had to offer and think that i could actually use it as a mobile phone.

Satisfied Verizon customer for the past 8 years