Re: Galaxy Nexus battery drain after 4.2.2 update
Norfin

Is anyone at Verizon reading this forum? Seriously, you brick our phones and not even a peep here? I was a first day purchaser, so I laid out $300 - a little progress report sure would be nice.

I also contacted Samsung by email since they are closed for phones devices on Sunday. I received a bot-generated response. So darn helpful! Everyone call Samsung and complain on Monday - 888-987-4357

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Samsung Telecommunications America.

After reviewing your email, I understand that your phone’s battery is draining quickly.

We are committed to your satisfaction and we will help you with the resolution for the issue.

I will provide you some tips to increase the battery life, if you still have same issue we will inform you about the next step at the end of the email.

Make sure that,

1. You are using the battery and charger came along with your phone.

2. The firmware on the phone is up to date with the latest available

version. Please provides us with the current base band version on your

phone. You can find it in the location Applications >>Settings >> About

phone.

3. Make sure that Wi-Fi, blue tooth and GPS are turned off on your

phone if they are not in use.

4.. Reduce the brightness of your Phone and do not use live wall papers

as they consume more battery power.

5. Do not wait until your battery is completely depleted before charging

your device. Repeating this process of a complete discharge and recharge

can over time reduce the storage capacity of any battery.

6.Is there any noticeable physical damage to the device?. Physical

damage can include (but not limited to) missing, bent, or broken battery

contacts. Remove the battery and inspect all contacts on the device and

battery to ensure they are intact and free of damage or debris. Inspect

all accessories to ensure there is no physical damage and they are in

good working order.

7. Check the LDI (Liquid Damage Indicator) located inside the battery

well and on the battery itself. LDI indicators should be solid white or

white with visible pink/purple X's.If the LDI is solid pink/purple/red,

it indicates the device has been exposed to moisture and is not covered

under Samsung's limited warranty.

8. Samsung batteries are rechargeable Lithium Ion (Li-ion) batteries.

Lithium Ion batteries are among the most popular batteries used in

consumer electronic equipment. One of the main reasons for popularity is

the fact that lithium ion batteries do not build a memory. This term is

commonly misapplied to cases in which a battery depletes faster than

expected. Talk time and standby time ratings are measured using optimal

conditions, meaning no conditions exist that require extra use of power.

9. Has the device been exposed to extreme weather conditions? Samsung

devices come equipped with a safety feature that will automatically

power down the device once it reaches a critical level

10. Perform a factory data reset on the device to fix the issue. Most of

the issues can be resolved by performing hard reset(Factory Reset).Your

phone settings will be changed to default factory settings once you

perform Hard reset. Hard reset erase all downloaded applications and

personal files, including music, pictures, videos, and documents, that

did not come pre-installed on the device. Paid applications can be

re-downloaded free of charge if the same Google account is used after

the reset. Back up the data on your phone and perform a factory data

reset. To perform Factory data reset, go to Applications >> Settings >> backup and reset >> Factory data reset.

11.There are two reasons for the issue. One is the issue with the

battery and the second is the issue with the internal circuitry of the

device. Let us first confirm whether the issue is with the internal

circuitry of the device or the battery. Try charging the device using

tested battery available at the carrier store. If the tested battery can

hold charge for long time we can confirm that the issue is with the

battery. In this case contact Samsung voice support team to get the

battery replaced if the device is in warranty. Please contact voice

support team to file a service request for your phone if the issue

persists after trying with tested battery. At your earliest convenience,

please call Samsung Customer Support by phone at our toll free number

1-888-987-4357, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday

through Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Central Standard Time.

If you have any further queries you can write back to us, we are always available to here from our esteemed customers from you.

If you have a minute, please click on the “Start survey here” link at the bottom of this email to fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Kindly note that you can access the survey page only when the pop-up blocker is disabled on the browser. Have a wonderful day!

Should you have more questions regarding your Samsung Mobile Phone, you can also reach out to our chat support team by accessing the following link. Live Chat is available 24 hours a day. 7 days a week.

Link: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Sherman

Technical Support

0 Likes
joe2chillo

I too have been having the issue with the Exchange service draining the battery. I contacted Verizon and they thought it was a bad battery. They did not have any in stock to send me a new one and they tried to contact Samsung to get it replaced. Samsung parts department was however closed today. So i told the rep about this thread and told her I was pretty confident that it was a problem with the software due to the patch and that I was reading about other people reporting the same issue. She got a 3 way call going with a Samsung rep who told me he had not hear do the problem yet. He told me I could call "Advance Support" on Monday and gave me the number: 1-888-987-4357. I think the update is so new that no one has reported the problem directly to them before today. I would suggest we all call Samsung tomorrow at this number and let them know whats happening. Not sure what they are going to be able to do to resolve it short of a hotfix to the patch. I disabled the Exchange app all together which resolved the issue but thats a bandaid not a fix. I guess we will find out.

0 Likes
kirtlandr

Same issue as others... checked other Android discussion boards - seems it's not solely a Verizon or Samsung issue. Update causing problems on other devices at other carriers as well. THAT CERTAINLY DOESN'T EXCUSE VERIZON FOR NOT WEIGHING IN ON THIS DISCUSSION THREAD. Maybe I can go get a new phone for free before they bother to look at this thread?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a customer-to-customer forum.  While Verizon reps occasionally respond, it is sporadic and not to every post.  Even when they do respond, it's usually a week or longer after a post has been left.

0 Likes
snsumner

I'm experiencing the exact same thing and I deleted and recreated all my Exchange account but it still taking 57-60% of my battery and causing the phone to heat up.   I had to disable my Exchange Services to solve the problem but now I can't get emails from work.   I would consider this a major bug and require immediate assistance from Samsung. 

0 Likes
bnace

Same issue here - also deleted maps and reinstalled - which seemed to drop the map usage a bit, but I think that's because by default - Latitude is not enabled.

Also experiencing the heat buildup, and showing screen usage at 42% of teh battery use, even though display has only been lit for a few minutes.

Calling verizon now.

0 Likes
Matte242

Mine got so hot I could feel the battery ballooning and looked swollen.  When I called Verizon, they didn't do any troubleshooting with me, only asked me for my address of where to ship the replacement.  I'm not sure this will fix the problem, but with my phone running so hot for the past couple days, I think it might be a good idea to stop using it. 

After deleting the Google Maps updates, as well as removing the Exchange account, mine would last about 2 hours.  I can't go without having my Exchange account on the phone, or it not being able to hold a longer charge.  Hopefully with the new one, I don't have these issues.

0 Likes
NJGuy07052

A factory reset has solved the problem.  In fact, battery life is better than before the 4.2.2 update.  I strongly suggest you try a factory reset.  If you choose the "backup" and "restore" options, it will automatically reinstall all your applications after the reset.  The only thing I lost was my Beautiful Widgets theme (big deal) but otherwise it was pretty seamless.  Good luck!

0 Likes
samjrau

I also had the same issue. Verizon reps were not helpful at all, claiming it must be the battery and that software could not have been the problem.  I was also told there were no reports of battery problems due to the 4.2.2 update.  As such, I did my own research, performed the exchange fix last night, charged the phone, and everything is back to normal from a battery standpoint. Exchange services is now at 2% of the current battery use.

0 Likes
Tom_K

I tried something different after I heard the exchange problem.  I checked my battery usage under the setting and saw Exchange was using about 40%.  I forced stopped it and then disabled it.  After which I rebooted the phone and then re-enabled Exchange and the battery drain problem ceased.

Odd that this isn't more widespread.  The system update must not like some combination installed apps/user preferences that causes this. Verizon certainly does tests to make sure such things don't occur, but it's close to impossible to account for all user configurations. 

0 Likes