Community Leader
Community Leader

Adirolf wrote:

Knock, knock!!

Hello, Verizon?

Anyone listening?

Planning on updating us?

Let me help you all out. According to

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/528523/20131209/samsung-galaxy-nexus-android-4-kitkat-custom.htm#.Uqn...

When Google introduced the Android 4.4 KitKat update, the company confirmed that Samsung Galaxy Nexus reach the conclusion of its support life. The line will not receive an Android 4.3 and Android 4.4 update. Certainly, the primary reason why consumers purchase the Nexus devices is so they do not have to wait for the "official" updates and do it manually. The Galaxy Nexus is not far from this. Fortunately, there are custom ROM providers around.

NO 4.3 for us according to Google. I do not think that VZW will update the device on their own!

Let the weeping begin...

There will be no Android 4.4 for the Galaxy Nexus. The rest of the Galaxy Nexus models have been updated to Android 4.3 already including the Sprint model.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
Adirolf
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
mbe3204m
Enthusiast - Level 3

right - this is Google's decision (this time), not Verizon's.  Blame Google for us not getting 4.3 or higher.  Hey, the phone is two years old - smartphones are simply not expected to be in people's hands for much longer these days.

0 Likes
mbe3204m
Enthusiast - Level 3

glad to hear it GameDiversity.  I am looking at PagePlus because their vendors will help you flash a Verizon 4G phone to work on their network (I'd just lose 4G service, but turning off the 4G antenna will help me save battery life anyway, and I'm almost always on wifi), and my wife's iPhone4 will work just fine on PagePlus.  If anyone has any good/bad stories about PagePlus please share. 

The only thing keeping me from doing it right now is that you can't insure a phone on PagePlus (much less a used one you carry over from another provider).  So if I need to replace my Nexus, I'd be stuck having to find a used phone somewhere (as I'm not going to pay full retail price for any phone).  My Nexus hasn't been the most reliable device; I'm on my fifth one.  After I had the first one replaced, the last four have been "refurbished", and were buggy.  The current one I'm using has been reliable enough, but I still worry that it'll be on the fritz shortly after I flash over to PagePlus to save money, only to have to replace the phone myself with whatever is available on Craigslist.  Tough call, honestly...I want to save $60/mo too and $720/year off my current bill, but that carries the risk that I'll spend some of that money on a phone.  Nexus5 will not work on PagePlus so I don't want to keep jumping to other providers.

Also, how does one keep one's number if one is to cancel current service?  If I say "I want to take my number with me to another provider" does Verizon give you any grief over it?  How does that even work?  My first & only cell number was with Verizon back in 2000, so this is all new territory for me.

0 Likes
eturk001
Enthusiast - Level 3

A nice recap of where Galaxy Nexus stands with Verizon:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/12/17/verizon-galaxy-nexus-android-4-3-update-everything-users-nee...

A reminder that Verizon seems to have an 18-month support policy and a 2-year contract, so support of hardware upgrades ends before you can update.

Galaxy Nexus software on Verizon will probably NEVER be updated, based on every other phone they have sold. My contract is up and I'm leaving in a couple days. I went to verizon 2 years ago because of LTE and the network in Los Angeles is so crowded, 4G is about 1mbps download now. bye bye.

0 Likes
Adirolf
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think that proves that it is only Verizon holding back this update from customers. Other carriers have it. Verizon can't give an estimate on date even. I seriously doubt that Verizon is dedicating any developer time to the device now.

Seems to me that the bottom line is the last sentence in the article linked above: "... those who bought the Verizon Galaxy Nexus thinking it was a Nexus."

I feel hoodwinked by VZW

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

mbe3204m wrote:

... Also, how does one keep one's number if one is to cancel current service?  If I say "I want to take my number with me to another provider" does Verizon give you any grief over it?  How does that even work?  My first & only cell number was with Verizon back in 2000, so this is all new territory for me.

To take your number to another provider, you go to that other provider, and ask to PORT your number from Verizon.  DO NOT cancel service from Verizon, as that will cancel your number!  Start service with the new provider, PORT your number, and the port process will result in your account at Verizon being cancelled. 

If you have time left on your contract, there will be an ETF for the Verizon line; you'll receive a final bill for the final month of service on Verizon.  It may take a few days for the port to be fully functional, calls and texts may be glitchy for a few days.

0 Likes
lowenuf
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got my confirmation that my Nexus 5 has shipped.  I thought of asking Verizon to give me a reason I should continue service with them after over 12 years but I figured it would more fluff than substance.  I can say that I've been running a shiny gnex without any issues for a couple of months now.

0 Likes
f360sp82

>>Post removed to comply with Discussion concerning rooting, jailbreaking, or modding is not permitted in this forum<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
mbe3204m
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hilarious, I had my second insurance replacement sent to me in 9 months, and they canceled my policy.  $10/month plus $99 per incident, and you don't think they are making enough money off of my business to keep my phone insured?  This is aside from the fact that I had five junk replacements sent to me in a row last spring; maybe I should bill Asurion for my time wasted & inconvenience since they sent me their crap inventory 5 times in a row before I finally got a working phone?  I actually had to insist with Verizon that they replace with their inventory.

That was the nail in the coffin.  Moving to PagePlus and giving up 4G.  At least I know I can probably get a used GNex for around $100-$150 online in good shape and not have to pay the silly insurance AND I'll save $70/month off my current bill between both lines.

0 Likes