Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

Weapon-X why Shiny & not Cyan? Smiley Happy I haven't seen Shiny screenshots but the

Firefly reference alone is enough for me LoL

0 Likes
Adirolf
Enthusiast - Level 3

... but the binaries ARE where VZW developers (or other developers like myself) WOULD start in the case of the "OTA" version not being available ...

0 Likes
Leonardo77

Someone mentioned that perhaps Verizon would not like it for a two-year-old phone to have the latest android version when most other phones that they are currently selling don't.

Not only would it have the latest software, but it would instantly become compatible with the new Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth LE low energy) since the Gnex has always had the hardware, but has never had the software to drive it. There are a lot of cool Bluetooth LE accessories, such as watches, fitness monitors and automated door locks. I look forward to the day when I will be able to walk up to my door and have it unlock and my watch and phone will have better battery life.

Unfortunately here I sit waiting. I tried to "shine up" my old galaxy Nexus, to no avail, so for now still waiting for Verizon

0 Likes
djortiz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think everyone is forgetting one essential part of 4.3 and 4.4 that is the main reason Verizon doesn't want the Nexus to get it:

AppOps.

If you don't know what that is, Google it. It allows you to shut off per-app access to certain features on the phone. In other words, if you want to block their proprietary apps from accessing any information you need only click a button.

As far as Verizon's customer service goes, I'm already tired of it.  Every phone call is different information with different people telling you different things all leading to the same purpose: "Oh you can't buy the phone this way but if you sign up for EDGE you can get that awesome new phone that you want" despite me telling them I'm a grandfathered customer.

Don't worry, Verizon. Your message has been received loud and clear.  You don't want my business anymore unless I pay you more money.  That isn't how being a customer/provider works.  When you start giving helpful updates, non-canned responses from your drones, and good customer service for the money we pay you, you can have more.

I'm absolutely sick of the lack of respect you show your customers, whether they're under contract or not.  You are very lucky my wife just upgraded her phone within the year or I would pay an ETF just to save money.  Don't think for a second that your wiser customers are sticking with you for the service.  They're sticking with you for the data plans.  The instant you make that go away, those customers are gone and I'm sure you couldn't care less.  The minute you try and take my unlimited data from me is the very minute I switch carriers and don't worry, I don't care about your awesome groundbreaking new phones or your stock responses that clearly were copied and pasted from a field manual.

I care about respect.  And I'm wise and old enough to know that Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T aren't going to respect me any more than you do.  At least they won't charge me an arm and a leg while they are at it.

readyfireaim
Enthusiast - Level 3

"

weapon-x, we want to see you stay with us. Have you seen our device line up lately? http://bit.ly/zpAY1E I'm sure that we offer a device that will fit your needs. Let's work this out.

LasinaH_VZW"

I saw this once on TV.  It was called the Charlie Brown Cell Phone Special!  He gets grandfathered, keeps paying high rates that include paying the subsidy for a new phone he can never use (unless he gives up his unlimited data).  Then, he tries to kick a football that the VZ moderator is holding, and it gets pulled away at the last minute.  Charlie goes sailing through the air, all the while thinking, "But they PROMISED me timely updates!!!"

Dabogues
Enthusiast - Level 3

HARRUMPH! HARRUMPH! *beats fist on table*

Well said, sir. Well said. Now, I can't wait for the obligatory, "djortiz, we want to see you stay with us. Have you seen our device line up lately?..." response.

0 Likes
TimTheK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh, hey. Look at this.... The Verizon Galaxy S4 is scheduled to get Android 4.3 next week.

WHERE IS THE GALAXY NEXUS UPDATE VERIZON!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a ______ NEXUS phone. It should get updated IMMEDIATELY.

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Screen-Shot-2013-10-25-at-8.59.33-AM-650x326.png

Adirolf
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's it! We are getting an update next week and they don't want to spoil the surprise for us 🙂

0 Likes
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

As is evident to anyone older than the age of 11, if VZW can push a 4.3 update to an over-skinned, over-bloated set of phones like the HTC One, the SIII and so on, then it ought to be a no-brainer to update the Gnex.  That leaves one reason and one reason alone:  to get you to "upgrade" and lock into another two years.  It CANNOT POSSIBLY take longer to qualify 4.3 for the Gnex than the SIII!!!!  And the SIII is JUST AS OLD.

NOW do you understand why so much hate is heaped upon you VZW???  Don't you get it?  It's not enough we pay our bill every month...  it's just not enough for you is it?  Maybe your top execs ought to sell that third vacation home they have in the Hamptons and live just slightly less large than they do... and then you clowns can get back to the business of actually providing VALUE for the money you charge.

readyfireaim
Enthusiast - Level 3

The answer is, VZ will have fancy new commercials on TV on 11/1 pushing "The NEW Nexus 5!!!! A pure google experience!!! Immediate updates!!!!"

... And folks will fall for it and buy it.

I will only buy the N5 if updates are handled by google.

0 Likes