Factory reset poll: Did it help you? YES or NO.
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

I been around this place a while and I have observed how poor frustated Fascinate owners have been advised to do a FACTORY RESET to presumably fix a multitude of problems, I don't post a lot but I read a lot and I estimate that about 80% of the time a FACTORY RESET did only one thing: You lost all your custom settings and apps (except for bloatware) and nothing was fixed.

I know I may be wrong, so please respond and help others. If a factory reset DID help you just post YES and brief description of problem it fixed. If it didn't, post NO and brief description of problem it DID NOT help with. I will get the ball rolling.

No, problem was could not install Froyo update. My phone.

No, problem was could not install Froyo update. Wife's phone.

0 Likes
Re: Factory reset poll: Did it help you? YES or NO.
Smooner1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Nope. Same problems with my phone spontaneously turning off or just restarting.
Lost my cool apps and all my customizations for no improvement. =/
0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

Although it doesn't look like this poll will provide any statistical answer because it is not being used. I will suggest this before you do a factory reset,  remove battery for at least 5-10 minutes, remove recently added apps, clear your caches. The techniques I mentioned actually have helped people here. Verizon employees continue to advise you do a factory reset even when they have no idea that it will actually help you, they are plain guessing and for most people here it has been the wrong guess and you wind up with a wiped clean phone WITH THE SAME PROBLEM AS BEFORE.

You may wind up needing a replacement phone and that has not exactly proven that succesfull here. Good luck.

0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

So far we have:

Factory Reset Helped: 0

Factory Reset No Help: 3

Too bad with so many views per day so little response.

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

I have seen the factory reset fix minor issues, but when software updates won't download, reboot loops, or any other major malfunction occurs the factory reset is worthless................

0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

I agree, there has been instances where a factory reset has helped with a specific problem, my intent is not that it should be ruled out but I feel bad for the people that come in here seeking help and the first thing they are told is "do a factory reset" and let us know if it helped. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Factory reset isnt the golden solution but it can resolve a number of the issues because of the same reason Clearing Cache helps sometimes, it clears the settings stored for apps and allow them to reload with a fresh configuration file...  Most issue come from a stray app that has conflicting settings that causes communication issues between the apps and the OS.

When you hard reset you remove all apps and previous data that usually resolves the issue but then users reinstall all the apps they had on the device again and the cycle starts all over again.

I am one that has made a habit to hard reset before any major updates to avoid issues after update and this has proven to work well for me because a number of the issues users has reported I never seen on my device do to this process..

0 Likes
magsgundah
Enthusiast - Level 2

YES.  My problem was reboot loop shortly after the Gingerbread update.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Factory reset three weeks ago and am slowly adding back third-party apps.  Haven't had an issue since.

Logic told me that the first culprit to look into was third-party apps that might not work on Gingerbread but did with Froyo.  It appears that I was right, as, since I reset and everything was wiped, my phone has worked flawlessly.

0 Likes
ladywolf_siobhan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nope!  Factory Reset it and my phone worked properly for only a moment before going back to doing what it was doing before.  I couldn't send text, but could recieve them, every text I sent would not send and would always have the current time that was on the phone on the text I tired to send.  Factory resetting it allowed me to send a couple of text before it went back to doing what it was doing before.  Call Verizon, they are sending me a refurb phone, if it doesn't work, I brought my phone through best buy and already been told I can get another phone.  not even going to give the Fascinate the time of day if this doesn't work.

0 Likes
ILikeColdPizza
Enthusiast - Level 2

No.

Ghost back button and frequent screen captures still happen, along with all the other problems.

0 Likes