Could we have a list of modes, their function, and how to get the nexus in each mode?
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

A while back, I was given info as to restart my nexus in the safe mode as there might possibly be an app conflict.  I was able to get into that mode, but didn't see how it would help me locate a conflicting app.

It's would be good to have the list of possible modes, their function, and how to rebott the phone into that mode, thanks, Cyn

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Could we have a list of modes, their function, and how to get the nexus in each mode?
Tidbits
Legend

there are 3 modes

Volume up/down power on = bootloader

This is where you can do a factory reset(in recovery), update your OS

Volume down power on = download mode

This is where you can use certain flashing software to update the OS, or simply bring it back to stock.  Only Samsung has the official version, but you can get unofficial versions online

Volume up power on = safe mode

This is where above mentioned which runs the bare minimum and allows testing to see if apps are being bad.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Could we have a list of modes, their function, and how to get the nexus in each mode?
AZSALUKI
Legend

it won't help you locate the conflicting app. people will often do this just to see if their phone functions properly while in safe mode. if it works fine in safe mode, but not in it's normal state, then there's a good chance there are some conflicting apps. at that point though, you likely need to do a factory reset, and reload a couple of apps at a time. when the phone starts acting wonky, then you've found the app that caused it. i typically never install more than one or 2 apps per day. i then will use the phone for a couple of days before downloading any more. this way, i know which app caused any issues that may arise.

as far as modes go, the only ones i'm aware of are normal (just turn it on), safe mode, and airplane mode (which kills the radios, but you can activate wifi while in airplane mode).

cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

Apparently, there's the bootloader or download mode also that's mentioned in the "unalble to factory reset" discussions by turnandburn.. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

there are 3 modes

Volume up/down power on = bootloader

This is where you can do a factory reset(in recovery), update your OS

Volume down power on = download mode

This is where you can use certain flashing software to update the OS, or simply bring it back to stock.  Only Samsung has the official version, but you can get unofficial versions online

Volume up power on = safe mode

This is where above mentioned which runs the bare minimum and allows testing to see if apps are being bad.

0 Likes