Can't update to 4.0.4
andyjg13

My Galaxy Nexus keeps hanging during the update. The update downloads and then I select the restart and install option, but it just hangs on the "Google" startup screen. I've let it sit for as long as an hour before pulling the battery and trying again. It's done this three times now. Has anyone else had this problem?

0 Likes
Re: Can't update to 4.0.4
aerokiki

I am having the same issue as listed....just hangs on the 'google' start up screen. At least I am glad to know it isn't just me. I have done it a number of times since 7:00 a.m. this morning and it just keeps hanging. I wonder if they tested it before they released it. Is there any way to get it to stop popping up on my screen ever 30 minutes to tell me to update?

0 Likes
Offutlake
Enthusiast - Level 2

Although I have a number of apps on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus (SGN), I have not done anything to "root" or "unlock" my phone (if that's what they're called).  I've had the same problem trying to install the 4.0.4 update over a dozen times during the last few days.  I can "download" and "verify" the update, but after the phone shuts down and tries to reboot to install the update, the phone freezes on the black screen with white "google" lettering and I need to take the battery out to un-freeze the screen.  I've seen this same problem identified on a number of websites, but there aren't any suggestions on how to fix this for those of us who have not tampered with the phone (i.e., kept it as is, without rooting or unlocking - if that's what they're called).  The only "answer" I've seen is that this is a phone problem and the phone should be returned to Verizon for a warranty replacement of a new (non-refurbished) SGN.  I am totally disgusted with Verizon / Samsung / Google.  I bought my SGN the first day it was sold, and have patiently waited almost 6 months for the update fthat I expected would fix my many dropped calls, random re-booting, lousy signal, etc.  Now to not even be able to install the update I've waited so long for is totally unacceptable.  Can anybody help?  Thanks.

0 Likes
Sniff
Enthusiast - Level 2

It sounds like a possible corrupt/incomplete update - or perhaps there's something else in the Google Services Framework cache that's interfering with the update process.  Stopping this and clearing the cache should definitely keep the update message from popping up all the time.  However, it may also allow the update to process completely after re-downloading it.  'GreenRobot' posted the instructions in a different thread.

0 Likes
Offutlake
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately I've tried the "Google Services Framework" suggestion a number of times, and when I can "download" and "verify" the update through that process, the very same thing happens to me  -  and my SGN freezes on the black screen with white "google" letters (after the phone shuts down and tries to reboot).  Thanks for the suggestion, however.  Any other ideas?

0 Likes
TURNandBURN13

I'm having this same problem too.  Last night I got notification to install, I accepted, and was told it would reboot to start the installation process.  I let it restart and all it showed was the White google logo on a blackscreen.  I figured it was doing it's "thing", so I left it there for over two hours and all it did was keep showing the white google logo.  The only way to get this phone working again was to remove the battery for a force restart.

Does anyone know the solution?  Can anyone at least tell me how to stop it from notifying me to update at least?  So annoying.

0 Likes
Sniff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sadly, I do not.  You could always try a factory reset.  Then attempt the update BEFORE reinstalling all your apps and settings.

0 Likes
TURNandBURN13

I also tried clearing the cache in the "Google Services Framework" as suggested in another thread.  That doesn't work either.  Any other ideas.  I've tried this multiple times too.

0 Likes
andyjg13

Now my phone has stopped trying to update. My version is still 4.0.2 and when I check for updates it says "currently up to date". Has Verizon pulled the update?

0 Likes
TURNandBURN13

Lucky you!!!  I would rather not have the update at this point instead of it constantly notifying my phone to update.  Does anyone know how to shut this off?

0 Likes