Battery Charge Not Happening Consistantly With Gingerbread
KISSman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since the Gingerbread update, my phone has had issues with charging.  Under Froyo, this was not a problem.

Here's the deal...

I plug in the device to charge up, it seems to get to 100% and then starts to drain power while plugged in.  It will still display as 100% while plugged in, but once I unplug it well after it hits the 100% point, it then shows what the battery actually is at (ex. 67%).  You might ask why I don't unplug it when it hits 100%, but some of those times are when I'm sleeping.  When I wake up, it says 100%, but when I disconnect it from the charger, it'll really be like 80% and will display that immediately.

One day I had it plugged via USB to my work computer, it showed 100% the entire time.  I was listening to streaming radio all day and because I wanted to be sure it would be fully charged at the end of my day, I kept it plugged in.  When I unplugged, the battery was really only at 6% and gave me an immediate warning about my critical battery level.  Again, this never was a problem before GIngerbread.

I did a battery pull to see if that would right the ship and I initially thought that it had for a day or two, but I just noticed that the issue returned this morning after taking it off the overnight charge and only showed up at 80% upon disconnect.  The only thing I can think of that could have thrown it off is that I restarted my phone yesterday -- maybe that brought the problem back?

This isn't really a battery life issue as I've read in other posts.  I'm not noticing any problems with how long the charge last.  The only problem I'm having is getting it charged to 100% and keeping it that way until I unplug it.

Sorry for the length, but I wanted to be descriptive of the issue.  Anyone else have this problem since Gingerbread?  Any solutions?

Re: Battery Charge Not Happening Consistantly With Gingerbread
tawest64

I'm having nearly the same problems.  I can't get my phone to charge to 100% in a reasonable amount of time.  Prior to the update it took just a couple hours from nearly 0% battery.  I've had this thing on charge all day today and have not been using it at all.  An hour ago it said it was at 90%.  I haven't touched the phone since then until just now - it's at 87%.  That's what prompted me to log into this forum....  very perplexing indeed.

0 Likes
mmhubbard

I am having the same problem.  It does not always happen, but frequently.  It will also occasionaly tell me the battery is fully charged, but the battery level is still around 95-96%.  Did not have this problem before the update.

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

Relatively simple thing to try that may help.

Use phone until it goes completely dead.

Turn off.  Charge while off via wall charger.

Again, use phone until it goes completely dead.

Turn off.  Charge while off via wall charger.

Then, use as normal.  See what happens.

0 Likes
KISSman
Enthusiast - Level 2

To compensate for this occurance, I've basically battery-pulled any time I restart the phone as this seems to help.  I haven't had the major charging issues that I was having since I've been doing this.  I shouldn't have to do this, but if it makes the phone operate normally again, I'll do it.

The last couple mornings when I've taken the Fascinate off the charger from it's overnight charge, it's been in the mid-90s percentage-wise once I pulled the cord out.  It's still not 100%, but it's not been 60-percent anymore.  After I pull the cord out to see what the actually battery power is, I put the cord back in and it seems to get up to a true 100% in just a few additional minutes and shows as such when I pull the cord out again.

I also don't leave it on a charger as often as I normally would during the day and I'm allowing the battery to die as much as I reasonably can before recharging per the advice in this thread and in others with battery issues since Gingerbread.  I'm not sure if this is helping the cause or not, but since the battery is now not having the major issues it was having last week, I'm going to keep doing this and battery pulls between every restart.

If others have this kind of problem I am having, post here and let us know if doing this has helped your phone issues at all.  Since this has only been going well for less than a week for my Fascinate, I'm not sure that this is an actual cure or not myself.  We'll see.

0 Likes
wardcst24
Contributor - Level 2

Same here

It is not a clabration problem  and My battery does not die fast I am having good battery life

when it charges all the way

I don't think it is trickle charging like it used to do

0 Likes
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have seen the 60% issue after it was sitting on the charger, the notification panel had said 100%, but when I finally got around to unplugging the charger it was now 60%...

I have oddly seen a similar activity even when the phone is off and charging.

I am currently not pulling the battery. I do run my battery dead and I mean right up to the phone turns off showing a blinking red box. I turn the phone on again, oddly enough it has enought power to boot up again, wait for at least the media scanning to almost complete, then plug in the AC. I charge it up to 100% if I am around and paying attention. I unplug it from the AC charger. I ask the phone to power down. I wait till I am certain it has powered down, usually 2 minutes. Then I plug in the AC and let it charge up to 100% again.

I have the additional problem that my battery is draining to fast and not lasting as long as I think it should and posted in another topic about this. This problem seems random to me, but could be related to the fact I am not really getting that 100% charge I thought I got.

I also believe my phone is not trickle charging after it hits that 100%. Maybe this was to extend batter life in years, but maybe it should monitor the battery and if it goes down 5 or 10% charge it back up to 100% instead of letting it drain. I have a habit of leaving my phone charge overnight, because I expect to get up the next day and use it for at least 8+ hours...

I have completed several factory resets at this time trying to narrow down if I have a bad app or bad update. So far this last test shows that even after factory reset, not visiting the market or installing any apps, the problem still exists for me. I have noticed a small issue with my factory reset that leads me to believe I might not be getting a full wipe as I would expect.

0 Likes
thornbeck
Enthusiast - Level 2

If your Fascinate is still within warranty, call Verizon Tech Support and explain what you are experiencing.  Ask for a new replacement battery and they should send one out.  I just did this for my wife's Fascinate.

- Tim

0 Likes
wardcst24
Contributor - Level 2

thornbeck wrote:

If your Fascinate is still within warranty, call Verizon Tech Support and explain what you are experiencing.  Ask for a new replacement battery and they should send one out.  I just did this for my wife's Fascinate.

- Tim

Thanks But there is not a problem with the battery

There is a problem with the charging.I stream music while I am charging if you leave it plugged in it will say 100%

even though it is draining the battery when you take it off the charger say two or three hours later you battery is drained

so it is not kicking back on and trickle charging

0 Likes
Re: Battery Charge Not Happening Consistently With Gingerbread
SamFasc2010
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same problem, but only on the overnight charge using the desk cradle.  Definitely not a battery issue, as it happened first night after the upgrade.  I'm surprised you guys are having any luck with the battery run down.  It's gotta be something in the programming for all of us to have it happen only after the update.

*edit* My wife's Fascinate is doing the same thing post update...

0 Likes