Hope it is like froyo where they will fix it

But sad to say it to 3 or 4 updates before they got it right

This is the last Samsung Phone I will ever buy the phone is Great Hardware wise

But there Firmeware  coding leaves alot to be desired

0 Likes
Re: Battery Charge Not Happening Consistantly With Gingerbread
KISSman
Enthusiast - Level 2

This morning my actual battery power was at 86% after a full night's charge so I'm much less sure that a battery pull and draining the battery as much as possible before charging had a direct affect on my prior luck.

I now believe the reason I've had more luck recently is because I've changed my charging habits.  Instead of putting my phone on a charger sometime after I get home from work and leaving it plugged in until the next morning, I've been putting on charge right before bed.  This way, the battery has an even lower charge to start with, has to then power all the way up to 100% during my sleeping hours before it then stops charging and begins its new slow power drain. 

During the first few days after the update when I was having worse charging issues, I was still doing what I normally did prior to Gingerbread which was to put it on the charger much earlier in the evening.  Obviously then it would hit 100% well before bed time.  But now since Gingerbread, doing this was causing this new battery draining process to begin hours earlier.

I believe that charging the phone for an extended period of time is what had been causing me to have the 60% charge in recent mornings.  Since the charge now stops once it hits 100%, the longer it takes for you to take it off charge after that point, the worse your charge is going to be.

The thing that is strange about this issue is why this is only happening to what seems to be a small portion of Fascinates out there after the update (or else everyone would be complaining about it, right?).  The only likely fix would be if they patched this somehow in a post-Ginerbread update. 

Also, I can verify that my issue has nothing to do with the battery itself because I have 4 batteries for my Fascinate and this same problem exists regardless of which one I use in my phone.

0 Likes
vbprog

Yes - it is happening. When you are charging your fascinate and it states that charging is complete - it does not trickle charge from that point on. You are effectively on battery from that point forward.

:smileymad:

Here is what's happening:

• As the device is charging it will display the msg "Charging (97%)" ... etc...
  • When it reaches 100% it will send a notification message "Battery fully charged. Unplug charger" 
  • At this point notice that the "charging indicator" is no longer showing on any widget or battery monitor.
  • The device continues to send the msg 100% to the display - but you are on battery power here

Leave it plugged in for another 2 hours and although it says 100% as soon as you unplug it will immediately show 87% (or whatever)

No trickle charge between the time the device hit 100% and plug removal.

Sucks.

0 Likes
wardcst24
Contributor - Level 2

Exactly what mine is doing

May have to go back to ed05  froyo because this is not working

And yes it does S##K

0 Likes
pgoforth
I have been experiencing the same issue since the OTA Gingerbread update. BUT...I don't think the problem is a lack of trickle charging. I have plugged my phone in on both the wall & car chargers & charged it JUST to the point where it SAYS it's 100% & then unplugged it immediately. Every time, since the Gingerbread update the battery level has been significantly below 100% (71, 67, 83...not even in the 90s). If I then plug it back in, it starts charging again & SEEMS to charge faster, but still never gets QUITE all the way to 100%, but it does come close.

So...where do we go from here?? Is it easy to go back to Froyo?
0 Likes
wardcst24
Contributor - Level 2

Just google  ed05 full xda

The top post is where you want to read

0 Likes
vbprog

Aside from the huge charging defect mentioned here I am getting the impression that the phone is managing the battery life a bit better than before. Prior to gingerbread, my phone drained alarmingly fast. Now I'm seeing major improvement in how long it stays in the 30 - 60 % range.

I realize many things affect this - running apps, cell strength, etc. But it seems better.

Hate the charging thing. Like the power management....

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

The trickle charge issue is apparently one of the first reported bugs with some devices.  It is in the software and not a battery issue. There are fixes but those type of tweaks are not permitted to be discussed on these boards. As posted above, Google is your friend.

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

@KISSman,

I'm sorry to hear you are having charging issue with your Fascinate after the SW update. You may have to perform a hard reset on your phone. Sometimes a hard reset is needed after a software update. This should help with the charging issue you are experiencing. 

If after the hard reset you are still having the same charges issues, please post back and I will be more than happy to further assist you.

0 Likes
KISSman
Enthusiast - Level 2

@  Is there an actual tweak for this issue specifically or does the fix require a full install of GB?  Not looking for specifics, but just a general sense if the issue itself has been isolated.  I know what fixing it will likely require, but just wondering if it's a targeted fix or elaborate fix that will do many things.

0 Likes