Backup Assistant on Samsung Fascinate
dnager
Enthusiast - Level 2

Last year when I tried BU Assist it only backedup 6 contacts. Verzon told me it was a bug they were working on. I just tried it today and it backed up 8 contacts. Does anyone know something better then 2 a year ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Backup Assistant on Samsung Fascinate
dnager
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok. I was looking on the PC side in Gmail Contacts. It does not show there. I do see it on my phone as you say. The ones that are getting backed up with BA have the Phone Symbol and are the # service numbers that came with the phone plus one other that I guess saved to the phone contacts by accident. There is no way to change from one to the other or add a Phone Contact symbol to a Gmail contact. I did create a generic phone contact then joined one of my gmail contacts to it and it came up with both symbols however once I joined the generic phone contact it was no longer available to be joined again with another gmail contact. So I would have to create duplicates of all my gmail contacts as phone contacts in order for BA to back them up. Not worth the effort. I hate being beat by a device or application ! I once imported all my contacts from gmail to Facebook and found out that gmail saves every email address you ever used even if you do not have it in your contact list. So I would up with over 600 contacts in whatever I was doing and had to delete all the ones that I had no idea who they were.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I use Google Backup, it works flawlessly for me and haven't seen any issues...  BA doesn't seem to work well with a smartphone...

Guess BA not that smart.. :smileyvery-happy:

If you have a Google account setup on your device your contacts and email should be synced already unless you disabled the option, just log into you account and check email at https://mail.google.com/mail/?tab=wm#inbox or Contacts at https://mail.google.com/mail/?tab=wm#contacts

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Backup Assistant will only backup contacts saved as phone contacts. Anything saved as Google is synced with your gmail account.

In the contacts app look at the list of your contacts. Do they have a "G" or Google listed in the top right corner?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dnager
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have seen a choice to save to Gmail or Phone before but I do not see anything in th Backup Assistant record to indicate that.

0 Likes
dnager
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have my Contacts sync with Google and my PC however that would not get them into a new phone not using Gmail or Android. Using Backup Assistan would but I still can not get it to back up more then 7 Contacts. In another reply I was told it is backing up only contacts saved to the phone and not to Gmail / Google but I dont see anywhere in each contact record where that would be indicated.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Okay, I just looked at a Samsung Fascinate that I have access to. If you open up the Contacts app and look at your list of contacts. On the right side of the person name is a symbol. One symbol looks like a g in a box. Those are your Google contacts. Another symbol looks like a person in a box (or the same as symbol for the contacts app icon). The contacts with this symbol are only saved to the phone. Some contacts might have both symbols meaning that two contact entries have been linked together. Some information is saved to the phone and some saved to the gmail account.

You can export your entire contact list to your SD
card by pressing menu and choosing the export option.

You can also log into your gmail account from a computer and go to your contacts and under more options (I believe), you can export your list of contacts from there.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dnager
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok. I was looking on the PC side in Gmail Contacts. It does not show there. I do see it on my phone as you say. The ones that are getting backed up with BA have the Phone Symbol and are the # service numbers that came with the phone plus one other that I guess saved to the phone contacts by accident. There is no way to change from one to the other or add a Phone Contact symbol to a Gmail contact. I did create a generic phone contact then joined one of my gmail contacts to it and it came up with both symbols however once I joined the generic phone contact it was no longer available to be joined again with another gmail contact. So I would have to create duplicates of all my gmail contacts as phone contacts in order for BA to back them up. Not worth the effort. I hate being beat by a device or application ! I once imported all my contacts from gmail to Facebook and found out that gmail saves every email address you ever used even if you do not have it in your contact list. So I would up with over 600 contacts in whatever I was doing and had to delete all the ones that I had no idea who they were.

0 Likes