Re: Android 4.2.2
Tidbits
Legend

2/3 of the process is out of their control. If you blame Verizon you also have to blame Google for making the claim, Qualcomm for the part in how CDMA works. You also have to blame the patent owners of LTE ranging from Apple to Qualcomm and all the companies in between. I have dealt with a lot of these companies and I can tell you they are not forth coming on firmware(which changing will have FCC involvement in testing).

Welcome to the Open Source problem that Linux faces also. Linus Torvalds already expressed his disdain towards Proprietary software/firmware.

edit: Wanted to add.  The Nexus 4 is not getting 4.2.2 software update with the rest of the Nexus line as well.  Source code was missing for the Nexus 4 until recently.  You can't get the source code(any version) for the Galaxy Nexus (for Sprint) which was updated recently, but the older version firmware for the Verizon version.  That tells me that the proprietary code isn't being given to Google to distribute and possible not allowed to touch it themselves.  Verizon possible got lucky on the older code, but after that point Google just gave up as it was too much trouble dropped LTE and dropped CDMA support as they realized what I have said earlier.  It's not all on the carriers which people believe.  Part manufacturers have a larger role when it comes to their proprietary software.

0 Likes
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

Then since sprint managed an update then VZW should have as well... Or do they use some alien form of lte/CDMA from an alternative universe that isn't subject to the same patents?   Or perhaps vzw is less competent in the technical arena?  Or their lawyers arent as good as sprints? (THAT'D mind bending!) And I'm not the first one to note that vzw marketing, more than a year ago when they brought the gnex out, touted it as a " pure Google  device".   They didn't say come out and say "this isn't what you expect..."  but it was more than disingenuous to imply otherwise by omission.  I seriously doubt so many would have purchased a vzw gnex if they thought it would be treated differently than any other nexus device.

What ever... I'm going skiing...

Tidbits
Legend

No source. Just because Sprint allows an update which took nearly as long. One could think Verizon isn't updating due to source. Sprint version has no source and from the looks of it never will. Verizon version we have source. From what I have seen from both sources the devices are the same but the RIL and firmware are different. There is more involved than just Android itself which I don't get why people never look beyond the version number.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There's also the chance two different teams or a single team doing multiple things segregated between them so things finish at different times.

0 Likes
zombielove69
Contributor - Level 1

As of last july in 2012 Google once again began support of the Verizon (toro) version of the Galaxy nexus after a 5 month or so unsupported time frame, and has continued to be apart of the aosp.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/10/yessir-the-lte-galaxy-nexus-is-technically-supported-in-aosp-by...

http://phandroid.com/2012/07/09/verizon-galaxy-nexus-toro-once-again-officially-supported-in-aosp/

0 Likes
rotocat
Enthusiast - Level 3

How do you explain the fact that Sprint can beat Verizon with updates every time even though Sprint is also CDMA and LTE?

0 Likes
bjrosen1
Enthusiast - Level 2

To those who are blaming Google or CDMA restrictions, you're wrong, this is entirely Verizon's fault. The 4.2.1 AOSP code for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was released by Google shortly after the release of 4.2.1. It works fine, I've been using it on my GN since December. I expect Google to release 4.2.2 code for the Verizon variant of the GN shortly. <Comments deleted to comply with the Terms of Service.>

My contract will be up in December which is shortly before the Nexus 5 will be due. If AT&T has a decent LTE footprint by then I'll probably switch because it's unlikely Google will ever let Verizon have another Nexus phone.

<Post edited to comply with the specifically the "Posts that discuss hacking and/or rooting a wireless device from any carrier will be removed." section.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

cmsfl70
Enthusiast - Level 2

I completely agree with you. The Galaxy Nexus was the only Nexus phone Verizon will ever see. I for one do not wish to go the <Comments deleted>. I purchased this phone because of the Nexus branding and the benefits that were to go along with it. No skins, no carrier bloat ware (fail), and upgrades as they are released (fail.)

<Attacking comments removed per the ToS.> We purchased the phone from Verizon who advertised this Nexus phone with the "Pure Google Experience."  That is not what has been received.

If I purchase what is advertised as the best cheese burger in the world and it fails at that do blame the restaurant that advertised it as such or the cow for producing faulty meat and milk to make the cheese????

<Post edited to comply with the specifically the "Posts that discuss hacking and/or rooting a wireless device from any carrier will be removed." section.  Any further violations in the discussion and it will be closed.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yet no AOSP support. Different RILS and different radios. Different teams within development.

0 Likes
cmsfl70
Enthusiast - Level 2

The factory images for the Android 4.2.2 (JDQ39) update that was released this week to a number of Nexus devices have now been posted. We’re seeing images for the Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Nexus 7 (HSPA+ too), and Galaxy Nexus (both “takju” and “yakju”).

From Droid Life

0 Likes