Android 2.2 Updated... What are all these "New" Icons & Features?
scoutxlt

I just did the Froyo 2.2 update on my Fascinate, and everything seems to have gone without "too much" brain damage. Well aside from Completely Scrambling Up my Apps, Pages, Locations etc....! Aside from that general mayhem I dealt with, overall there does appear to be an Improvement to both the Screen Resolution & Color Depth, which sort of surprised me... BUT I have a number of new "features & Icons" that I can't seem to identify.

One is the "Mobil Data" toggle button on the drop down short cut menu, the other is the "Cross Hair/ Arc" icon in the top bar. My question is does this "Mobil Data" button replace or indicate something "new" or just a feature that was hidden before? Is it something that is drawing battery life that I don't need to leave "On" which seems to be the default setting. Or is this the new button for "3G" logo which seems to no longer be along side of the signal strength bars? Again, is this cross hair/arc part of the same feature or is it something entirely new?

Aside from the General Mayhem I had with where all my Apps were.... and having to completely Re-Organize them into the order of usage that I had them in..... All 7 Pages of them! I had to delete many extra "Home Screens" which 2.2 installed as well; with Feeds and other "Active" Widgets that I would frankly not wish to have running all the while, draining the battery.... I try to keep the active objects to a minimum, as we all know the Battery Life issue is paramount and anything that can be done to prolong that inevitable power charge, must and will be done.

I would also like to comment that the Screen is undoubtedly "Crisper & Brighter" than it had been... and while I don't appear to have had some of the issues I've come across in the forums [Thankfully So...!] Overall I would have to say I'm quite happy to FINALLY have been granted Froyo.... Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Android 2.2 Updated... What are all these "New" Icons & Features?
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Herbb623 wrote:

I use this mobile data toggle all the time.  It definitely improves battery life..a lot !!!

I have all radios off...wifi, bluetooth, gps and mobile data.

You can still make and recieve calls and send and receive standard text messages.

( which is what I primarily do. )

When I want to browse web, or sync emails, or play or install apps...then I just toggle

on wifi if at home or mobile data if I'm away from home. Do my thing.  Then toggle back off.

A little bit of a pain but the extra battery life well worth it. 

Thanks for correcting me on being able to send standard texts.  I meant MMS and will correct my post above. It is a shame though you have to disable the functions that are designed to enhance your device just to get it to run better!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

The mobile data "toggle button" has always been there and is for turning it on and off.  By turning off you will save some battery but not get your email,mms texts,and internet.

The "crosshair" is just a network symbol I think, not running stock I no longer have it.

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

I use this mobile data toggle all the time.  It definitely improves battery life..a lot !!!

You can still make and recieve calls and send and receive standard text messages.

When I want to browse web, or sync emails, or play or install apps...then I just toggle

on wifi if at home or mobile data if I'm away from home. Do my thing.  Then toggle back off.

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Herbb623 wrote:

Thanks for correcting me on being able to send standard texts.  I meant MMS and will correct my post above. It is a shame though you have to disable the functions that are designed to enhance your device just to get it to run better!

0 Likes
scoutxlt

Thanks Everybody for the Heads-up on what these are.... I always toggle the Wi-Fi, Blue-tooth, & GPS tabs OFF when not actually using them.... But this Mobil Data tab is altogether new since the 2.2 update, so I was not 100% sure what it did.

I leave "All" my email, etc. account[s] sync functions on Manual anyway, no point in them running all the time.... As you all well point out, saves battery life not to mention one of my email accounts probably gets 150 emails a day... So "Toggle Off" this one is going to be too, until I need to complete the function-

Thanks Again-

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

SFObrien wrote:

The mobile data "toggle button" has always been there and is for turning it on and off.  By turning off you will save some battery but not get your email,mms texts,and internet.

The "crosshair" is just a network symbol I think, not running stock I no longer have it.

The crosshair symbol is the E911 locator and can not be disabled. The Samsung android phones are the only ones that I know of that they were not included in the original release on Verizon.

e911 symbol.png

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
scoutxlt

Yup, that is the one.... I had an update some time ago, that placed a radio button on the lock screen for "Emergency 911" and that one is still there... but there was "No" icon in the system tray above, while now in 2.2 apparently there is.

I guess the System just letting you know that Big Brother is Tracking your location JIC there is an "Emergency...." Boy that gives me a warm fuzzy. Its one thing if I activate it in the case of a real emergency.... but to keep it "On & Tracking" all the time frankly is troubling. :robotmad:

0 Likes
St3v3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not sure what phone you've been using, but Mobile Data and Auto Rotation were not there before.

It was Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS and Airplane Mode which is now missing of course.

0 Likes
ijorged

I am frustrated because I use to turn on airplane mode when I was in a location that had no service (inside buildings, etc.) which would allow me to use my features but save my battery.  With the new 'mobile data' button disabled, I still have services running (e.g. receiving texts) and my battery is being sucked dry.  Any ideas on what do do?

0 Likes
scoutxlt

Yup, those are the ones I had "Originally" in my Samsung Fascinate.... [ie the forum this posting is in...] Now I don't have the Airplane Mode in the top tray any longer either...? They have replaced it with the above fore mentioned, "emergency tracking" & Auto Rotation... [WHY...? I had that set as Default in the Primary Phone settings window FOREVER....] and the Mobil Data... Which when I'm home on my own Wi-Fi system I leave off.... it is a Battery Vampire. But I have noted that some web content does not load as well even on my GB Router...

I did find "Air Plane Mode..." but its buried back in the Settings Screen, which is completely assbackwards if you ask me.... I don't think I'd ever "Reset" my Default Setting for "No" Auto Rotate.... I can see the other Commenter's point about using Airplane Mode to shut down the baggage, when you can't get 3G anyway; to conserve battery life.

So its a bit befuddling why they would swap them out, beyond that I have noted that with Mobil Data toggled on, Bluetooth, and GPS... things really start happening for the battery life, I can just about watch it Die it goes that fast. Thankfully the only time I have Bluetooth & GPS 'On' in in my vehicle, and then I've got it "Powered Up" on 12V.... and then turn them off as soon as I hop out. Unfortunately though that Mobil Data apparently "Needs" to be toggled on when out and about on the Network.... otherwise the phone doesn't do much more than a tin can & string.

0 Likes