Re: Verizon FCC violation: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 SCH-i925 Call and SMS
antonindvorak
Enthusiast - Level 3

From 47 CFR 27.16

Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.

In December, I will be in an area where GSM voice/SMS is the fastest available network. Verizon has configured my handset to prevent it from being used on this "other providers' network".  My device has the capability to be used on this other provider's network, but it is verizon's locked bootloader/firmware/software that disables access to the features built into the device that I would otherwise be able to use on this other provider's network.

Weth wrote:

I have never ever used a voip app on a sc-i925, but if I did and it was a terrible experience, I would likely call the sch-i925 a piece of junk.

Now you are onto something....sort of.  It is not the sch-i925 that is the problem.  I have a friend in Iceland who has a "modified"(in a way verizon doesn't like) sch-i925, which, in addition to regular voice/SMS, does VOIP quite reliably, so the sch-i925 is quite capable.  It is verizon that has crippled the device with firmware/software that is junk.

*Edited to remove disallowed terminology.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Keep reaching. Good luck. While I stand by my arguments and think your arguments do not pass muster and will go no where with the FCC, I really could care less if you get your tablet a voice calling capability. You are using arguments for C block that were not as intended and not what the FCC will agree or enforce.

0 Likes
antonindvorak
Enthusiast - Level 3

Of course you could care less.  I wouldn't expect otherwise.

I do think anyone who uses or who is planning to use verizon's services should be aware of every instance in which verizon tries to swindle their customers through misinformation via published materials, customer support, and/or corporate and retail locations. 

I'm throwing another straw on the pile.  Eventually,  the camel's back breaks.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

antonindvorak wrote:

Eventually, the camel's back breaks.

You under estimate the size of the Government's back. 

0 Likes
antonindvorak
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess I'll just have to "the part of a plant that attaches it to the ground or to a support, typically underground, conveying water and nourishment to the rest of the plant via numerous branches and fibers." my device.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

antonindvorak wrote:

I guess I'll just have to "the part of a plant that attaches it to the ground or to a support, typically underground, conveying water and nourishment to the rest of the plant via numerous branches and fibers." my device.

0 Likes
antonindvorak
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hmm

rcschnoor wrote:

antonindvorak wrote:

This was the solution!  After uncrippling my device, it could make CDMA phone calls and send texts using any SMS texting app compatible with my OS.  Thanks to Samsung for including all of the necessary hardware.  Absolutely no thanks (plus a big rotten tomato) to verizon for making it quite difficult to access the hardware within the device.