Dont want updates
Bassman36
Enthusiast - Level 1

I do not want to have to update my phone so much leave it alone I like it the way it is should have a choice to update or not it's my phone not Verizon 

Labels (1)
Re: Dont want updates
JOG0277
Contributor - Level 3

"If It Ain't Broke...Don't Fix It!".....I feel the same way, but unfortunately there's no way to stop or block software updates, unless you either root your phone  or buy a carrier unlocked phone.

All you can do for now is avoid pressing the Pop-Up Software update button; which can be very difficult, because it's strategically placed in an area on your screen where you are very likely to press it by accident...

boringusername
Master - Level 1

@Bassman36 wrote:

I do not want to have to update my phone so much leave it alone I like it the way it is should have a choice to update or not it's my phone not Verizon 

Not a Verizon thing. Also if you got hacked because of securty issue and you didn't get an update I wonder who you woul blame? not yourself.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand your concern about software updates. Software updates are directly released by the manufacturer of your device. If it's an Apple device iOS would be updated by Apple themselves; if this is an Android device, Google would be releasing the updates. Software updates are only meant to update things that may not be working correctly, or things that may need to change to get them working. If you have any questions about your software update, all should come with release notes to see what was updated on the device. Let us know if any questions come up, we are here for you.

JavierMD_VZW

0 Likes
JOG0277
Contributor - Level 3

Your statment is only half right...Software updates are created by Originating Software Company; IE: I-phone updates come from Apple and Android updates come from Google, then that update is pushed to the phone carrier.  Then the phone carrier pushes it to their customers.

In the case of Android Phones, the update is 1st created by Google, then it is pushed to the phone manufacturers to be tweaked to each of their individual phone specs. ..Then the update is pushed from the manufacturers to the phone carriers so that the carriers can tweak the update to their particular phone network...Then the update is finally pushed from the phone carrier to their customer. 

So technically, Verizon has complete control over who receives the update....The same way Verizon blocks updates to unlocked phones because the phones were not purchase from Verizon...

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@JOG0277 wrote:

Your statment is only half right...Software updates are created by Originating Software Company; IE: I-phone updates come from Apple and Android updates come from Google, then that update is pushed to the phone carrier.  Then the phone carrier pushes it to their customers.

In the case of Android Phones, the update is 1st created by Google, then it is pushed to the phone manufacturers to be tweaked to each of their individual phone specs. ..Then the update is pushed from the manufacturers to the phone carriers so that the carriers can tweak the update to their particular phone network...Then the update is finally pushed from the phone carrier to their customer. 

So technically, Verizon has complete control over who receives the update....The same way Verizon blocks updates to unlocked phones because the phones were not purchase from Verizon...

Switch carriers then. Oh wait................

0 Likes
JOG0277
Contributor - Level 3

No point in switching carriers, because most of the Major carriers (IE: Verizon and AT&T); block updates to unlocked phones.

And Yes...Customers buy unlocked phones to avoiding the memory hogging Bloatware added to the phone by their carrier.  Unlocked phones also allow the customer the instant freedom to switch carriers at a moments notice.  Carriers don't like these options, so they block updates to unlocked phones to sway customers into purchasing the phone from a carrier.

0 Likes
DRose01
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am in agreement with not wanting these updates.  There have been at least 3 updates in the past 6 months and each time the settings on my phone are changed.  This latest one today changed the keyboard on my messenger app from QWERTY to something totally random.  I have gone through all of my settings trying to reset it to no avail, so now I have to use the Samsung keyboard until I can figure how to get my messenger keyboard back to QWERTY.  Another time it changed my data setting to allow for mobile data usage which I specifically do not use, causing me to go over my limit and costing me an additional $15 dollars on my bill.   This type of thing is very frustrating!  

0 Likes
Manuel83890
Enthusiast - Level 1

do not want updates, it's exasperating, every update is mandatory and it change  all my settings and preferences and it's hard to go back to them, I buy a phone before I see it, between the system and settings and if i like it and I buy it! but now it change the system and my settings every time in month, my phone is off every morning when i wake up my Alarm do not ring no more due to the settings after that update, so i pay Veraizon to have a phone the way they want?

Manuel83890
Enthusiast - Level 1

do not want updates, it's exasperating, every update is mandatory and it change  all my settings and preferences and it's hard to go back to them, I buy a phone before I see it, between the system and settings and if i like it and I buy it! but now it change the system and my settings every time in month, my phone is off every morning when i wake up my Alarm do not ring no more due to the settings after that update, so i pay Veraizon to have a phone the way they want?

Tags (1)