will voicemail & text still go to my verizon account when I use a foreign sim card?
wilwen

I'm going overseas. Verizon's overseas calling plan is not cheap while SIM cards where I'm going are. So I planned to buy a SIM card there and access texts and visual voicemail messages thru Verizon's PC app on my phone.

But now I just talked to a Verizon phone rep who says that when I put the other SIM card in my phone, it's not like my Verizon phone is off, and people can still leave me messages and texts, which is what I'd assumed. She says that when they call or send a text they'll get a msg saying subscriber not found or number not in use or something.

Would love to test this to be sure but I don't have a spare SIM card lying around.

Can anyone confirm? I have a Samsung S7 Edge. Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: will voicemail & text still go to my verizon account when I use a foreign sim card?
Weth
Legend

It will be like your phone is off. Verizon has no way of knowing whether the phone is actually off or another SIM card is in the phone. Once you remove the Verizon SIM, Verizon can no longer see the phone, just like it is turned off.

View solution in original post

Re: will voicemail & text still go to my verizon account when I use a foreign sim card?
Weth
Legend

It will be like your phone is off. Verizon has no way of knowing whether the phone is actually off or another SIM card is in the phone. Once you remove the Verizon SIM, Verizon can no longer see the phone, just like it is turned off.

wilwen

Thanks, that's what I was assuming and hoping.

If anyone's actually tested this in real life, I'd love to hear from you.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

It is very simple to test this in real life for yourself. Take the SIM card out of your phone. Call your number. See what happens. End of test.Smiley Happy

Regardless, the Verizon rep simply did not know what they were talking about. Not unusual.