why is my screen black, but my phone is still powered on?
BRITTANYBRGS

My phone is currently showing me a black screen no matter what I try to do with it... and it is still powered on. Is there a trick to fixing this? or will I need to have it replaced?

0 Likes
Re: why is my screen black, but my phone is still powered on?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to be sure your phone is working the way it should BRITTANYBRGS. We are here to provide the assistance you need. When did this issue begin? Does the device have any physical or liquid damage? Have you tried rebooting the phone by removing/reinserting the battery?

RashadM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
DEBBIE2002
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue; the phone is powered on and the screen is blank. I removed the battery, SD card, and sim card, put everything back in and powered up the phone. After the lock screen appeared and cleared or went blank without acknowledging the request for a Pin code. if you entered you PIN, the screen would to the home screen. After the screen times out due to inactivity and goes blank. Pushing the power on/off button or the home button causes the screen to very briefly flash and go blank again, the LED indicator would then begin flashing again, indicating a text message, e-mail.... etc. I sometimes leave the screen on to an app which prevents the screen from going to sleep mode.

What I found to get the screen back again is 1 of 3 ways:

1. Hitting the power on/button or the home button and hopefully get lucky and the lock screen would appear.
  2. Remove the battery and press the power on/off button.
  3. I press the power on/button and volume down button simultaneously, to bring up the Maintenance Boot Mode
    (MBM). MBM allows you to choose to do a Normal Boot, a Factory Reset or Boot into Safe Mode. Note: when I try going to the MBM the screen flashes and goes blank, I know I am there by the yellow triangle with the exclamation point in the middle briefly appears. Pushing the volume up button twice and pressing the home button to reboot the phone to normal boot.

I have tried using the phone in Safe Mode, which prevents 3rd party apps from starting. Also, I tried using the phone without the SD Card, and one other item I did try was uninstalling the last 10 apps.

This all began with the last system update that came out!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You've done some sound troubleshooting. One important thing about testing in safe mode is it should be done with no SD card installed. Can you try starting up in safe mode after removing the SD card?

NoahS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes