screen rotation issues after marshmallow update
smastny

I'm having the hardest time getting the S for Health App to register steps post Marshmallow update. Also screen rotation does not work. I've cleared the cache partition, tried to do sensor tests and have had no luck. I had brief luck shortly after the update by removing the messenger app based on a few suggestions, and now have both facets completely non-functional no matter what I do. I never had this problem pre-marshmallow. I'm preparing to do a factory reset but am skeptical based on what many others have advised about their experiences. Is there anyone else that have run into these issues? I've had a few apps that will rotate the screen one way and return back to portrait after exiting but that's it. 

Anyone else have these issues or have any suggestions that resolve this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: screen rotation issues after marshmallow update
amberk_vzw
Verizon Employee

Thanks for the further insight, Smastny. Let’s keep working towards a solution. Granted the issues just emerged post update, a factory reset might be in order but we want to explore every avenue prior to reaching this conclusion. Have you attempted to run your device in Safe Mode and further test by chance? Please click here for instructions: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-97645/

AmberK_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your
question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This
ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your
help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which phone model are you referring to?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
smastny

Galaxy S5 SM-G900V

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Smastny, I understand your concern regarding S Health registering your steps as well as the screen rotation. Having both features working is important. Are you able to utilize the S Health application for any other functions? To clarify does the screen rotation not function at all or does it not work in particular screens?

TionnaB_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
smastny

Gyroscope facets do not. The finger sensor does still function. Steps will not count and haven't no matter what I've done after day 2 post marshmallow update. Accelerometer also not providing readings from a sensor test app.

So to repeat, I can get a heart rate check to function but anything related to the pedometer or distance is not picking up. I also cannot get the screen to rotate regardless of mode in any core app like the photo gallery/etc.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried another application like Google Fit to see if it has similar issue with counting you steps and whatnot?  You might have a hardware problem as opposed to a software problem.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jacobv_vzw
Verizon Employee

smastny - Having the latest software on your device makes your device and applications run faster and better. I apologize in advance for the issues you're currently having. I am confident we will get your device back to it's stellar condition. Let's battle one issue at a time. When it comes to the rotation issue you're having does the screen rotate when you're doing other things on the phone? Are all of your applications up to date? Please open the Play Store, then tap on the 3 stacked up lines on the upper left hand side of the screen. Now tap on Apps & Games. If the applications are up to date it will say Installed next to each application.

-JacobV_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
smastny

I know this is software and not hardware. Hardware issues don't mysteriously crop up after a major software update. That points straight to software. 2nd I have been supporting IT equipment for over 20 years. I supported various smartphones over my career. So to answer Jacob just for humor sake. I have android 6.0.1 and all apps have been updated.

For Ann, the gyroscope issues only showed up after upgrading to Marshmallow.which easily explains the s for health step tracking and Google fit issues.

0 Likes
amberk_vzw
Verizon Employee

Thanks for the further insight, Smastny. Let’s keep working towards a solution. Granted the issues just emerged post update, a factory reset might be in order but we want to explore every avenue prior to reaching this conclusion. Have you attempted to run your device in Safe Mode and further test by chance? Please click here for instructions: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-97645/

AmberK_VZW

If my response answered your
question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This
ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your
help with this!!

0 Likes