how much longer will Verizon support the Galaxy s5?
brushpopper
Enthusiast - Level 1

just want to know how long before verizon no longer supports the s5, I have a friend that is getting a new fone and would give me this one but I don't want to do it if they will not be supporting it much longer

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: how much longer will Verizon support the Galaxy s5?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is more of a question for the app developers, and whether their apps remain compatible with or have versions available that are compatible with older OS versions.  Older phones are not always capable of handling the newer OS versions or app versions. 

You may want to see if you can find an older version of the apps that "quit" on the older phone (which phone is it?) and sideload them so you can continue to use them.

View solution in original post

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

What exactly do you mean by "support"?  It's an S5, likely already out of warranty.  You are not the original owner, so insurance is a no go.

The phone will work on Verizon's network for several years more, I'm sure - there are much older phones than the S5 that still work on the network.  What kind of "support" are you expecting?

brushpopper
Enthusiast - Level 1

I meant as far as what apps would continue to work on the phone... I have another fone that is being used and there are several apps (banking app, snapchat, etc) that have just disappeared and will no longer work or install on it, and I just want to know how many apps would suddenly quit working on this S5

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is more of a question for the app developers, and whether their apps remain compatible with or have versions available that are compatible with older OS versions.  Older phones are not always capable of handling the newer OS versions or app versions. 

You may want to see if you can find an older version of the apps that "quit" on the older phone (which phone is it?) and sideload them so you can continue to use them.

bearone21
Legend

my old s3/4.1 isn't compatible with some apps the s5 is still running.

app developers are making sure their apps are current for the newest phones, not worrying too much about folks who are too cheap to upgrade.

0 Likes