Re: how do i know if i'm on wifi or using data plan?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you send the screenshot to your computer and upload it from there?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dekahorn02

I don't know how to do that.  It's in my phone.  If I could send it to your email addy I might be able to do it that way.  This is coming from my laptop now.  It shows all the symbols on top.  If you could email to :

[removed] maybe I could reply to your email with the screenshot.

Personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

No worries trying to send the screen shot dekahorn02. We want to make sure you are able to connect to the wifi in your home. You mentioned you were able to connect to KFC’s connection that is great. That let’s us know that your phone doesn’t have a problem connecting. It was connect as that was a public connection and no password is needed. You stated your laptop can connect to the wifi at home. Have you changed your password since you established it on your laptop? I recommend changing the wifi password and trying to connect on all devices.

TionnaB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dekahorn02

Ok,  I've been thinking a lot about my issue of not getting on to the WiFi at home.  I mentioned I'm able to,  1) get on WiFi using my laptop at home.  2) using KFC public WiFi  3) a work Wifi (using their password) with no problems for both Samsung devices.  Well something just clicked in my head earlier and now I will try to explain.  When we power up our laptop we do the same thing with our desktop.  Which is not on the WiFi, it's uses Ethernet.  Well after thinking about what we do at home, I'm realizing now (Breath) we are signing into our SYSTEM with a password and not into the WiFi.  The desktop and laptop sign-ins are the same, da, cause it's for the SYSTEM.  And that password is not for the WiFi.    The next thing I do on the laptop once it's ready, I go to use either Internet Explore or Google Chrome.  NO PASSWORD is required.  The home WiFi is automatically on for the laptop.

Ok, now when I need to connect to WiFi using the Samsung S6 phone or my Samsung Tablet it shows the same WiFi the laptop uses which is CenturyLink7746  (that's our home WiFi).  It has a lock on it on the phone and tablets display for the WiFi's  so it is asking for a PASSWORD.  I've never had to sign in on the laptop.  So are you ready for this?............ How do I find out what the PASSWORD is for both Verizon Samsung Devices?  OR, why is it locked requiring a password when the laptop don't need it.   Long story, but I think and hope I might get a quick and easy answer from the Community that's been helping me all along.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Forgive me if this angle was already covered...(the topic is quite lengthy)...is it possible that you are logging in as a guest as opposed to a regular user?

When accessing a WiFi node as a standard user, the devices will store the password for future use. When accessing a WiFi node as a guest, you usually have to manually enter the password every single time.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

From your computer, you should log into your CenturyLink router and find out the wifi password to allow your devices to access it. While you are in there you should update its firmware, review the router configuration and check to see if you have the MAC address filtering turned on or not.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

rcschnoor
Legend

dekahorn02 wrote:

Ok, I've been thinking a lot about my issue of not getting on to the WiFi at home. I mentioned I'm able to, 1) get on WiFi using my laptop at home. 2) using KFC public WiFi 3) a work Wifi (using their password) with no problems for both Samsung devices. Well something just clicked in my head earlier and now I will try to explain. When we power up our laptop we do the same thing with our desktop. Which is not on the WiFi, it's uses Ethernet. Well after thinking about what we do at home, I'm realizing now (Breath) we are signing into our SYSTEM with a password and not into the WiFi. The desktop and laptop sign-ins are the same, da, cause it's for the SYSTEM. And that password is not for the WiFi. The next thing I do on the laptop once it's ready, I go to use either Internet Explore or Google Chrome. NO PASSWORD is required. The home WiFi is automatically on for the laptop.

Ok, now when I need to connect to WiFi using the Samsung S6 phone or my Samsung Tablet it shows the same WiFi the laptop uses which is CenturyLink7746 (that's our home WiFi). It has a lock on it on the phone and tablets display for the WiFi's so it is asking for a PASSWORD. I've never had to sign in on the laptop. So are you ready for this?............ How do I find out what the PASSWORD is for both Verizon Samsung Devices? OR, why is it locked requiring a password when the laptop don't need it. Long story, but I think and hope I might get a quick and easy answer from the Community that's been helping me all along.

Actually, you originally typed the password in to your laptop the very first time you connected to your wifi network. The laptop automatically saves it and then you do not have to type it in each subsequent time. The wifi network is asking for the same password in order for your Samsung cellular devices to log into the wifi network. This is either a password you set up or is the default password for your wifi router. It appears the wifi network name is CenturyLink7746 which is likely the default wifi network name which was on the router when installed by your CenturyLink broadband provider. If you did not change the default network name, it is also likely you did not change the default password. The default password may be listed on the back of your wifi router(I know it is on the back of my Verizon Fios wifi router). Otherwise, you will need to log into your CenturyLink account in order to retrieve your wifi password. You may also be able to call CenturyLink and ask them for it.

dekahorn02

OMG! 1000 x's.  All this time I was trying to sign in using our system password that we use for the desktop and laptop. 

I found the sticker on my router and keyed in the KEY/PASSPHRASE number Century Link has. That now gives me access to the Wi-Fi on both my cell phone and my tablet.  I turned them off and on several times to make sure it still worked and it did.  All's it took was that passphrase one time to enter.

Thank you all for putting up with me and never once gave up.

0 Likes
cliffwoman
Enthusiast - Level 1

I checked the phone and both the Wi-Fi and Cellular icons had blinking arrows underneath them.  The Cellular icon only had the upward pointing arrow blinking the Wi-Fi had both arrows blinking.  ???

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, cliffwoman. Know if your using data or Wi-Fi is important. Do not worry, we'd be happy to help address your questions and concerns. To best assist, I'd like to gather some information. What is the make and model of your phone? Are you worried about using too much data? Are you having any trouble with either Wi-Fi or Cellular data?

GinaU_VZW

0 Likes