copy file from PC to phone
deepet

I used to be able to copy excel, word, and pdf files to my phone so I didn't have to carry a laptop with me, but I am no longer able to do so. I can copy images and videos but not the file formats listed above. The message "Cannot copy <filename> because the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected.". File tranfer is enabled on the phone.

0 Likes
Re: copy file from PC to phone
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Using your device to keep important files is a must, deepet. It sounds like you know how, but lets figure out what is happening.  When you have your device connected to the PC do you have it set up as a USB storage device or as a camera? You can adjust this from the notifications drop down while plugged into your PC.

JosephE_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
deepet

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned above, I use the drop down menu to select file transfer, not camera.

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

I'm not sure how we missed that, deepet.

We will continue to figure out this mystery so you can continue to copy files.

Please power the phone off, remove/reinsert the SD/memory card if applicable.

Power back on and make sure all apps are closed in the background.

When you try to copy the file, what happens?

TamaraH_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
deepet

Sorry for the delay, I was traveling this week. This morning I powered off the phone, removed/reinserted the SD card, and powered up. Selected File Transfer, and I can now copy Word and PowerPoint files and pdfs to the phone. However, I cannot copy Excel files. For Excel files, I get the same message I mentioned in my original message. I tried one that was encrypted and one that wasn’t, and neither worked. I used to have both of these files on my phone and would update them by copying them from my PC to the phone. I just don’t get why I can’t do that now.

Thanks for your assistance with this matter.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Deepet, we hope that your travels went well, welcome home. Thank you for trying the steps provided. We are glad to hear that most files are once again transferring for you. Let's take a closer look at those Excel files. Do you recall adding any new apps, software or games to the phone or updating the software on the computer recently? Have you attempted to transfer Excel files from more than one computer?

LorenB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
deepet

Hi,

I'm not aware of adding something to the phone. It's been through several software updates. I have not tried to copy files using another computer. I tried transferring Excel files to the SD card, but it is write-protected and I cannot find a way to change that. I wonder if it's a space issue on the phone itself, so I'll delete some stuff and try again.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

When you are in the file on the computer if you go to File at the top then go to properties and on the general tap what does it say is it a hidden file and do you have full permission in Excel  

0 Likes