battery issues
buzzeswoman2008
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon Wireless Customer Support how is it that with the new lolliFLOP update my battery life is extremely short? i went to take my phone off the charger this am which my phone was charged to 100 percent since it had been plugged in all night. and instantly it drops to 85 percent with no use. How is this possible? since the lolliFLOP update and even with the last patch my phone has done nothing but give me issues. my phone is only a few months old. please help me fix this? i talked to a tier 2 customer support person over a week ago which is when i did the update to the lolliFLOP update and my phone has gotten worse. please help. if it wasn't past 14 days i would exchange it for the droid turbo.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: battery issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I'm sorry to learn of the issues you have been experiencing with the latest update, buzzeswoman2008. We've been working with Samsung to identify fixes for any of the issues that users are experiencing. We have been able to identify an issue with a previous version of the Facebook app that is causing battery drain. Please check your Play Store and update your applications, as old versions may not be optimized for Lollipop yet. Additionally, have you tried using the software repair assistant? http://vz.to/1IPgGke

The cost of switching to a different device depends on your eligibility. If you have an upgrade on your account or are eligible for Early Edge, you may be able to purchase a device this way. If you are not currently eligible for an offer, you do have the option of purchasing a certified pre owned device or paying full retail. If you are interested in our certified pre owned options, you can review the available devices with our Customer service.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

If I had your device, and if I was in your shoes... this is what I would do. YMMV.

First, with what you have now:

I would go into Settings | Mobile Data. I would select the menu, and I would select Show WiFi Data. Then when I go back into this display, I would be able to see two tabs, one with my Cellular Data, and one with my WiFi Data. Both can be used to determine what programs are using the respective radios, which consumes battery but also if cellular, your data plan allowance.

I would be using my phone till it discharged to about 10% or so, then I would charge it back to 100%. I would do this three times (your Battery %remaining is going to be based on a model of past use - after an update that model must be rebuilt from a number of discharge/charge cycles. the deeper you discharge before recharging to 100%, the more valid that estimate is... You don't need to discharge all the way! Just down to about 10% or so).

Now then, after a few days, if my time on battery wasn't getting appreciably better...

Back up your pictures and anything else you cannot live without to a PC (downloaded documents, .MP3s, etc). I would copy down important user settings for email, and anything else that was of value to you. I'd make sure I had my usernames and passwords to important apps (besides email, that might be an online banking app or other). I'd send myself emails to another account of important emails I wanted to keep, or I'd use a Texting backup utility if I needed to backup conversations...

I'd prepare to wipe my phone clean.

Then I would uninstall all my downloaded programs. I would perform a Factory Data Reset, knowing I had to set my device up again from scratch.

When booting back up after the FDR, and when setting up the device, I would log into Google and re-connect to WiFi, I would choose not to backup or use the Verizon Cloud. I would actually use the Applications Manager in Settings to disable Verizon Cloud and also Google cloud.

I would initially not install any app unless it was one I absolutely positively needed to be productive with my phone.

Then slowly, very deliberately over the course of days, I'd begin installing the apps that were a convenience or wants and if I noted a drastic change in battery consumption, I would try to determine if it was because of one of the programs I had just downloaded.

buzzeswoman2008
Contributor - Level 3

ive checked all my settings on my phone and done a number of resets where ive lost everything and had to reinstall the important stuff. i talked to Verizon Wireless Customer Support yesterday and the only thing they told me is that they can send me out a replacement device if i want them to but its just going to have the same issues. how is that a solution to the problems that everyone is having? and when i said one of my family members has the exact same phone that i do with the same stuff and uses it the same way but has had it since they came out and has never had an issue she couldnt tell me how i can have the issues and they dont.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

When you say resets, you are referring to Factory Data Resets?

A few considerations:

First off, the VZW rep merely believes a replacement phone will have the same behaviors. This is not necessarily true.

Second, a FDR may not exhaustively reset all memory in the device to a known / default state. Perhaps there is a problem with the OTA and the installation where some stuff is relying on zero'ed out memory that hasn't really been cleared.

Third, it's possible your smart phone, and the same model someone else you know isn't physically identical. These are not commodities all coming off the assembly line from the same place at the same time. There could be low-level hardware differences that on some devices are material, and perhaps, patches to low-level drivers need to be developed.

Fourth, unwittingly, you might have chosen, when initially setting up your device to enable Verizon Cloud, or Google Drive and have those programs syncing data from your phone to the cloud and back, where your family member does not.

Fifth, you may have had one of these enabled, and you gave it authority to restore prior settings under KK.

Sixth, you most likely, do not have ALL of your settings completely identical to your family member's device.

Seventh, you probably do not use your device identically to your family member.

I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of.

Presuming you've done full factory data resets before, you can consider:

1). Assuming you've backed up your personal files on a PC... do another FDR, but be mindful of your choices when booting up. Don't enable VZW's cloud or Google Drive. Restore files from the PC.

2). If you are technically savvy, research the Software Repair Assistant and try re-loading the OTA package onto your device  that way.

3). See if a refurbished phone is going to fix your issues

-or-

4). Wait for patches, future updates.

stef7
Master - Level 2

Everything I've written about the Battery % Remaining Model still holds true and I recommend you see if battery remaining charge increases as a result of you doing three discharge / recharge cycles. Other people have verified if they just use their devices a little bit and then recharge, this model is highly inaccurate.

Everything I've written about enabling the Mobile Data WiFi tab is still relevant to you. Have you done this, and tried using that tool?

buzzeswoman2008
Contributor - Level 3

yes ive done everything that verizon suggests...like ive said ive talked to their tier 2 customer support twice in the past week. if it wasn't so expensive i would get a completely different phone. Verizon Wireless Customer Support how much would i have to pay if i wanted to switch to a completely different smart phone? the retail price??

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I would take a replacement.  Since it has not taken the update yet you would have a clean slate to start from.  I would IMMEDIATELY charge to 100% and leave plugged in, factory reset the phone to make sure, install the update, factory reset again, keep charging to 100%, use phone set it up all that and use until it turned off, leave off, recharge to 100% again.  If still no dice...buy a new phone at full retail, sell that phone if on contract, or pay off that phone if on Edge and then sell it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I'm sorry to learn of the issues you have been experiencing with the latest update, buzzeswoman2008. We've been working with Samsung to identify fixes for any of the issues that users are experiencing. We have been able to identify an issue with a previous version of the Facebook app that is causing battery drain. Please check your Play Store and update your applications, as old versions may not be optimized for Lollipop yet. Additionally, have you tried using the software repair assistant? http://vz.to/1IPgGke

The cost of switching to a different device depends on your eligibility. If you have an upgrade on your account or are eligible for Early Edge, you may be able to purchase a device this way. If you are not currently eligible for an offer, you do have the option of purchasing a certified pre owned device or paying full retail. If you are interested in our certified pre owned options, you can review the available devices with our Customer service.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
buzzeswoman2008
Contributor - Level 3

I have done the software repair assistant and also checked all of my apps to make sure that they are updated with the new OS. my question now is if i want you to go ahead and send me a refirbished phone already being told by tech support that the referbished phones are most likely going to have the same issues how many of those do i need to go through before switching to a completely different phone. like i said my galaxy s5 is only 4 months old..

0 Likes
buzzeswoman2008
Contributor - Level 3

and i forgot to mention i am also having problems now with calls connecting...whether its a land line or a cell phone. i hear a fax machine tone when i know that no fax machines are hooked to any of the lines...it takes 3 or sometimes 4 calls for me to get past that and hear a real ring.

0 Likes