Re: Wi-Fi calling doesn't work, or requests Airplane mode to be turned off
SeanSkiVT
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having this exact same issue. With airplane mode on and wifi connected, wifi calling doesn't work and attempting to use it throws a pop-up asking to turn airplane mode off.

I have a T-Mobile Galaxy S9 running Android Pie for work that works perfectly in the exact same scenario. This is an issue with bad code from Verizon.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@SeanSkiVT wrote:

I'm having this exact same issue. With airplane mode on and wifi connected, wifi calling doesn't work and attempting to use it throws a pop-up asking to turn airplane mode off.

I have a T-Mobile Galaxy S9 running Android Pie for work that works perfectly in the exact same scenario. This is an issue with bad code from Verizon.

Did the phone convert to Verizon when you switched SIM cards?   If it did, call Verizon and have IMEI corrected on your line.   

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kap1234, I thank you for clarifying. We want to do what we can to assist, but can't assume on our end either. Please ensure that your HD/ Advanced calling feature is set to on then test. What happens?

Just in case:

1. Settings > Connections .
  2. Tap Advanced Calling.
  3. Tap the HD Voice and Video Calling switch to turn on or off

KatiM_VZW

0 Likes
Kap1234
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is ridiculous. I told you it works fine when it's not in airplane mode and yes HD calling is turned on

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Our goal is to get this resolved, Kap1234. Can you please tell me when you updated your phone? Exactly how long has it been since you've been able to use WiFi Calling while your phone is in Airplane Mode? 

VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes
JONFICK

January 2020

WiFi calling? I suspect Verizon is attempting to use a feature that basically does not work on Samsung phones.  From experience, WiFi calling has never worked for me, not on an S6 and not on a recent S10e.  I live in northwestern Vermont. The Verizon cellular signal here is miserable at best.  I see one bar, sometimes no bars. I have to stand outside at 10 degrees below zero to use my cellphone successfully. After years of attempting to get WiFi calling working I'm coming to the conclusion that if there is any cellular tower signal at all, it gates off any possibility of WiFi calling at either the Samsung hardware level, or the Android software level.  I've tried to turn off the cellular voice channel by putting it into Airplane Mode (followed by turning WiFi back on) but the Samsung/Android error message requires me to turn Airplane mode off.  I've turned off Mobile Data to preclude any possibility of the cellular data channel interefering with WiFi data but that didn't work either.

The cell phone manufacturers have gotten technologically ahead and Verizon hasn't kept up, which isn't surprising because Verizon has gone to a "service provider" business model rather than a one-stop-solutions-provider model.   Thus, Verizon no longer drives technology, instead just reacts to it.  And not very successfully in the case of WiFi calling. 

The Verizon franchise stores repeatedly demonstrate that you get multiple answers for the same question.  The Verizon corporate stores are somewhat better, but the customer reps can no longer do much beyond selling you a phone and a plan.  For anything substantive you are handed a list of phone numbers to call for help, which is what I did that this morning for WiFi calling help.  Three hours and four customer service reps, each one reached because the previous one somehow got disconnected.

What ISN'T the problem? Verizon employees. They are trying hard.
What IS the problem? Verizon business model. It no longer stands out. Verizon has simply fallen into the rest of the herd.

Oh well.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@JONFICK wrote:

I've tried to turn off the cellular voice channel by putting it into Airplane Mode (followed by turning WiFi back on) but the Samsung/Android error message requires me to turn Airplane mode off.

⤵️

This means either you do not have a Wifi connection, or Wi-Fi calling is not turned on at all, or your phone is not capable of Wi-Fi calling. Or any combination of the three.

⤴️

The Verizon franchise stores repeatedly demonstrate that you get multiple answers for the same question. 

Franchise stores, also called authorized retailers, are not owned by Verizon and the people that work there are not employees of Verizon.

The Verizon corporate stores are somewhat better, but the customer reps can no longer do much beyond selling you a phone and a plan. 

that's correct they are not tech-support. If you want tech-support you call 611 or use chat and ask for tech-support

I switch to Verizon prepaid or year and a half ago because I knew I could use Wi-Fi calling as long as I had a Verizon branded android phone.  I had a used Verizon Samsung S8 , then bought a newer Samsung S9.   Worked just fine.  I must pixel works much better.  

If Wifi calling doesn't work at all with more than one phone,  yet it works for most everyone else, It seems unlikely it's a Samsung problem, or a Verizon problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This isn't how we want you to feel. We're sorry to hear the WiFi calling isn't working properly. However we want you to be able to use service at home. Have you looked into using a network extender? https://www.verizonwireless.com/home-services/hotspots/network-extenders/    JoelD_VZW

0 Likes
DZNYTOY

I have the same issue with wifi calling and I am using a Samsung Note 9 and Kyocera DuoForce Pro2

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out DZNYTOY, Wi-Fi calling is critical. Our goal is that you can use it properly. Has it ever worked for you on either of these phones? If so, when did it stop? Have you tried restarting the phones and your modem?

RosanneM_VZW

0 Likes