Why isn't the volume on my headphones working?
cmcilroy35
Enthusiast - Level 2

The headphone controls for volume have stopped working. I've tried 3 headsets and it's the same for all 3. Volume up/down on headset does nothing. Stop/Start on headset works fine. Volume on the side of the phone still works fine. The S5 is only two weeks old.

-Chris

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: S5 Headphone Volume is not Working
cmcilroy35
Enthusiast - Level 2

Never mind, I found that the Sennheiser jack is an Apple jack and the Android uses a TRRS jack.

Everything, and the difference in how the jacks are wired, are explained here:

Apple Headphone is Not Working On Android or Windows Phone

-Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nrjohnson92
Enthusiast - Level 3

Which headphones are you using? The ones that came with your GS5?

Some headphones are designed for Apple, some for Android, etc. I've got some Bose headphones that worked with my old iPhone, and when I swapped to Android only the Play/Pause was functional. My new headphones are completely functional with my GS4.

0 Likes
cmcilroy35
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm home now,

The Samsung headphones work, volume up/down and stop/start.

My Sennheiser and iPhone headphones (3 pairs), only the stop/start works, the volume up/down does not.

Same results on my wife's Samsung S5.

The Sennheiser are what I wear everyday at work,and I swear they were fully functional when I was last at work on Friday.

-Chris

0 Likes
nrjohnson92
Enthusiast - Level 3

Interesting. At least we can eliminate the phone as a problem since the Samsung headphones work. If your Sennheiser ones used to work, but aren't now, there could be a few things to consider.

Perhaps they're designed differently than the Samsungs, which may cause them to not plug all the way into the headphone jack? You might remove your case if you have one and try to use the Sennheisers again.

The Sennheisers may have gone bad.

0 Likes
cmcilroy35
Enthusiast - Level 2

Never mind, I found that the Sennheiser jack is an Apple jack and the Android uses a TRRS jack.

Everything, and the difference in how the jacks are wired, are explained here:

Apple Headphone is Not Working On Android or Windows Phone

-Chris

0 Likes
janichol

Another consideration.....  worked before the firmware update?  Doesn't work after?  Another "feature" in KitKat 4.4.4!

0 Likes