Why is the Wifi on my Samsung Galaxy S8 turning off for no apparent reason?
mjw5021
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why is the Wifi on my Samsung Galaxy S8 turning off for no apparent reason?

This is causing excessive data utilization as the phone should be connected to Wifi and seems like a scam by Verizon to cause upcharges in data plans. My wife's phone is mysteriously and arbitrarily turning off the Wifi and causing the phone to use mobile data and eat away at our data plan. Her normal patterns of phone usage have not changed, and we have always been under our 4GB data plan by approximately 0.5-1.0 GB each month. When Verizon initially alerted me of a potential overage, I switched my plan to the 8GB data plan with about half a month left in the cycle as a precautionary measure. Well, it's not even 9 days later and somehow we've now burned through the additional 4GB from the 8GB plan.

Now, the only option left is to pay the overages or upgrade to unlimited data; however, we have not changed anything in our standard daily usage patterns.

In my opinion, Verizon or Samsung need to fix the issues at hand and provide reimbursement for the unnecessary charges and forced changes in plan upgrades.

Re: Why is the Wifi on my Samsung Galaxy S8 turning off for no apparent reason?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are here to address your concerns so you can make sure your phone has the best settings for your needs. The Samsung Galaxy S8 has the ability to switch between WiFi and the Mobile Data Network if there is a weak/unstable WiFi network connection.

Please check the settings https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-210743/ to make sure yours is disabled.

TamaraH_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mjw5021
Enthusiast - Level 2

TamaraH_VZW

This setting was never set to be enabled on my wife's phone, which is why there is an issue in the first place, and it has always been disabled.

As I stated previously, the phone will arbitrarily turn Wifi off for no apparent reason, at no fault of my wife's.

Please advise on how VZW plans to take care of issues like this and reimburse owners for faulty products.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mjw5021, thank you for checking the settings. Rest assured that our only goal is to ensure that we resolve your concerns as we'd never attempt to charge you for more data than you used. Going back to the advanced settings for Wi-Fi in your phone. There is another settings showing, 'Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep'. Is this on or off? Lastly, you have the option to put your device in safe mode to temporarily disable all 3rd party applications to test the device to see if Wi-Fi stay connected. I would recommend keeping your device in safe mode a few hours and monitor it to see what happens. Click here for the steps to put your device in safe mode. http://spr.ly/65878CADR

Verizon_Customer_Serivce

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the *Correct Answer* button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
mjw5021
Enthusiast - Level 2

vzw_customer_support

I checked the phone, and the "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" is checked, so that's not it. I've also tried safe mode with my wife's phone and that doesn't do anything for me either.

Like I said, it will turn off arbitrarily, which means there is some faultiness with either the network or the device. My wife has not left the house, and she has never disconnected from Wi-Fi as she is at home on maternity leave.

We have both been loyal customers with VZW for well over 10 years and neither one of us has ever had this issue before with any of our devices; therefore, my question still stands as to how does VZW plan on reimbursing the upcharges?

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Congratulations on the new baby!

I don't know what the problem is with this WiFi issue on these phones. I had this problem when I first got my S 7 edge and after all the updates in the past year I am still having problems with it. I have to turn my mobile data of because I never know when it will disconnect from my router. There are a lot of post in here from a lot of Samsung phones and I have not seen an answer yet. VZW this is not my post  I am just telling mjw5021 that I am having the same problem. I know they have sent out a patch awhile back that was supposed to take care of this problem it helped but did not fix the problem. My phone does not always disconnect as much as it did but the point is that every once in awhile I will pickup my phone and it is not connected to my router. As soon as I tap the wifi icon it will reconnect with no problem.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kathy65793, ensuring your phone is working properly is important to us. I understand this isn't your post but do want to get to the root cause of your issue in the hopes of getting it resolved. There was an earlier patch to address a WiFi issue when using a certain WiFi access point but since it's still occurring on your device let's ensure we have all the details. Can you advise if this is happening on any WiFi network or only one? If happening on just one WiFi connection, can you provide us with the WiFi standard the router is using between 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac and if on 802.11n if it's 2.4GHz or 5GHz or some other frequency. If it's a dual band router using the 802.11n WiFi standard, please advise which frequency you're connecting to (2.4GHz, 5.0GHz or other)?

EbonyR_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mjw5021 We appreciate your continued customer loyalty. Let's get this straightened out for you. I’ve sent you a private message here in the forum. Please check your inbox at http://vz.to/2pZHoWT to discuss further details about your concern. Thank you for your patience during this process.

EvelynR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport if my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

stef7
Master - Level 2

Yes, try the first three things, then the fourth as a last resort:

!). Download WiFi Analyzer. Make sure your home WiFi is not competing on the same channel as another router with a strong signal from a nearby house. Move your WiFi router's channel if necessary to one that is unused, or has a pretty low signal. This may help.

2). Try assigning a Static IP Address to the WiFi connection on the phone to your router.

First, do you know how to log into your router? You have to look for the page that indicates something like, DHCP Server and the start of a static address pool. You'll be choosing a number in that range, typically 192.168.1.100 to .192.168.1.150, but could be different on your router.

Second Forget the WiFi Connection.

Then attempt to add the connection back, but choose Advanced option, and changed from DHCP to Static and enter that address.

3). Attempt a System Cache Wipe.

4). Attempt a Factory Device Reset after backing up important content (you will lose program settings and will have to set things up again).

wlm9700
Enthusiast - Level 3

Go into settings under location and and go under improve accuracy and turn off allow Wi-Fi scanning and Bluetooth scanning if they are on it will turn your Wi-Fi on and off when you leave places you connect to Wi-Fi at to help save battery but use more data. I had this issue on my S5 until I turned it off and then it stopped doing it.

0 Likes