Why is my battery draining so fast?
lumbreit
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure who else out there is seeing this issue but I have noticed that the mdnsd server is eating up my battery life. I used to go all day checking my phone and using some apps off and on and get home from work and have plenty of battery life left for the rest of the night. Now it seems I have 20-30% left and I have noticed this new service "mdnsd" taking more battery then the standard Android OS. Anyone else having this issue or have any suggestions to fix besides a factory reset?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: The MDNSD service is causing my battery to drain
lumbreit
Enthusiast - Level 2

KBTron you were exactly right that once I removed Firefox it works great and I no longer see MDNSD running and using my battery. I'll use the chrome browser from now on. Thanks again!! Hey Verizon support you might want to post this somewhere or inform Mozilla about the bug....

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lumbreit, thanks for reaching out to us on this.  Do you have a memory card installed in your device?
AnthonyM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
lumbreit
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do and had it in there as long as I can remember.

Sent by Outlook<http://taps.io/outlookmobile> for Android

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for getting back to us lumbreit. Let’s work together to figure this out. Please perform the following steps and let us know if the issue persists:  http://vz.to/1Q8qGYk and then go into Settings>Location>location switch to Off.

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
lumbreit
Enthusiast - Level 2

The page you give me can't be found. If it pertains to doing a factory reset I have no interest in doing that. That's your guys answer to everything.

0 Likes
KBTron
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's Firefox. Version 42 and the current beta version currently have the bug. Something about getting stuck and sending endless packets. Looks like improper use of mdns, which is multicast dns.

This started showing up late last year; first, a drone control software (Freeflight), then an Ebay app, then during development, mid July, of Firefox (closed the MR), then when the panic struck after the latest Version 42 hit the wall at the Google store.

Only known solution at this time: Uninstall Firefox. The gang over at Mozilla is actively working on a fix; the beta of V43 may be fixed in the next few days.

lumbreit
Enthusiast - Level 2

KBTron you were exactly right that once I removed Firefox it works great and I no longer see MDNSD running and using my battery. I'll use the chrome browser from now on. Thanks again!! Hey Verizon support you might want to post this somewhere or inform Mozilla about the bug....

0 Likes
KBTron
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just putting the word out: the latest version of Firefox for Android, 42.0.2, available at the Google Play Store, has fixed the mdnsd problem. Battery life is now back to normal.

KBTron

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know it is important to have your batter last long.  How long has this been going on for? I understand not wanting to do a factory reset. I will make sure I help you as much as we can. How long does your batter last?
AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes