Why is my S5 using so much data? My billing cycle reset on 8/21 and I've already used 2.67 mb out of 3mb???? Help!
lyzziborden

My billing cycle reset on 8/21 and I am already at 2.67 mb of data out of 3. I have my mobile data turned off while connected to wifi. Am I doing something wrong??

0 Likes
Re: Why is my S5 using so much data? My billing cycle reset on 8/21 and I've already used 2.67 mb out of 3mb???? Help!
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you mean you've used 2.67 MB out of 3 GB?  If so, 2.67 MB isn't very much data used at all.  If you mean you've used 2.67 GB, then you need to double-check that you do, indeed, have mobile data turned off when not needed.  You also may want to double-check your settings.  This article may help:

9 ways to stay below your data cap on Android and iOS | TechHive

0 Likes
Re: Why is my S5 using so much data? My billing cycle reset on 8/21 and I've already used 2.67 mb out of 3mb???? Help!
lyzziborden

I Meant to say GB not MB!

0 Likes
lyzziborden

Yes I meant GBSmiley Happy

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

lyzziborden, time flies when you're having fun. Are you streaming music, videos or movies on your device? If so, these tasks can use large amounts of your data allowance.  http://vz.to/18jfPJg Let's take a look at our data usage sessions online at My Verizon http://bit.ly/xB4iTc

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
lyzziborden

I don't stream music, videos or movies. I cannot understand what the problem is. I have been through my phone and have turned off auto sync and everything else I can think of. I though the whole point of wifi if the data is used anyway. Ever since I switched from the galaxy s3 to the 5 I've been having this issue. What else could be the problem?

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for all you've done lyzziborden! When you're using WiFi, is your Mobile Data turned OFF? You can go to Settings> Data Usage> Scroll to the bottom and you will see display of what exactly is consuming most data. This will help you better understand what's going on. Also, please make sure you don't have more than one web page open in your browser. This can consume data, especially if you have multiple windows open.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
lyzziborden

Yes the mobile data has been turned off when I am using wifi. I went through my phone and changed all the settings. Nothing should be syncing or anything like that. I also restricted background data on almost everything I could. I'm not sure what else to do. Hopefully I will see a change in the data usage.

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Izzyiborden,

Thanks for all of your hard work! You can go to settings>data usage there should be a list of applications or items that used the data on the phone. You can set the applications that use the most data to only work on Wi-fi, which will keep your usage low as well.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes