Why do I get "communication error" when selecting Contacts in Backup Assist Plus?
BobS3

Have reset Backup Assistant Plus due to sync Errorcode 5 using Verizon response to others in this forum.  After running Backup Assist Plus again, I find that I cannot select Contacts for backup. I get a message that says "Error - There was a communication error".  I was able to select pictures and these were successfully backed up.  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why do I get "communication error" when selecting Contacts in Backup Assist Plus?
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Go into Backup Assistant in your computer and export all of the contacts to a CSV file and store it on your computer. go to Gmail and import the contacts into gmail contacts. Verify the contacts listed in Gmail. Verify the contacts have synced to your phone then delete all of the contacts from backup assistant and disable backup assistant on your phone  You should also look for a service called NewBayService and disable that
Then change your contacts to google contacts and never worry about a faulty Backup Assistant again

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Why do I get "communication error" when selecting Contacts in Backup Assist Plus?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello BobS3!

We absolutely want to make sure your contacts are backing up as well! I'm sorry you're running in to this concern. Let's figure this out together. Just to clarify, you mentioned you reset Backup Assistant Plus. Was this by following these steps: http://vz.to/14Iv5eS and clearing the data for the Sync Service and Backup Assistant apps?

Additionally, here is the easiest way to backup your contacts: http://vz.to/17zlkh3

Let me know the results!

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
BobS3

The instructions I followed were similar to those you mentioned: Settings>Appl Mgr>All Tabs>Sync Services>Clear Data (OK)>Force Close  and then Settings>Accounts>Backup Assistant Plus.  When I tried to check the Contacts box, I get the error message..

Following the "easiest way" you mentioned, just brings me to the screen where I tried to check the Contact box where I get the error message.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Go into Backup Assistant in your computer and export all of the contacts to a CSV file and store it on your computer. go to Gmail and import the contacts into gmail contacts. Verify the contacts listed in Gmail. Verify the contacts have synced to your phone then delete all of the contacts from backup assistant and disable backup assistant on your phone  You should also look for a service called NewBayService and disable that
Then change your contacts to google contacts and never worry about a faulty Backup Assistant again

0 Likes