Why can't I sync my bluetooth to my 2008 Ford Edge?
Jaysonol
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I just switched from my Droid Bionic (and before that, the original Droid G1) from Motorola, to my new S5.  The S5 does not seem to recognize my Microsoft Sync, although in scanning it finds other bluetooth devices.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues, or success?  If so, can you detail the steps of pairing your S5 with Sync enabled vehicles?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Having issues pairing Bluetooth to my 2008 Ford Edge w/ Sync. Any suggestions?
Jaysonol
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, it looks like I figured it out on my own through trial and error.

So if any of you have SYNC enabled vehicles and are having issues here is what I did:

1. Make sure car is off (non-ignition) - SYNC should be completely off.
  2. Open car door, get in close car door.
  3. Turn ignition on.
  4. Wait for SYNC to turn on completely (approx 10 secs)
  5. On SYNC, manually turn Bluetooth Off, then on.
    1. Press PHONE button -> scroll to SYSTEM SETTINGS -> Press OK -> Scroll to BLUETOOTH DEVICES -> Press OK -> Select OFF -> Select ON (possibly clears BT cache?)
  6. Manually delete any previous devices.  In my case, it was my Droid Bionic.
    1. Press PHONE button -> scroll to SYSTEM SETTINGS -> Press OK -> scroll to DELETE DEVICE -> Press OKAY -> scroll to [select your phone] or DELETE ALL -> Press OK -> Press OK again if asked for confirmation (YES?).  All previous devices should be deleted now and SYNC should be unpaired with all BT devices.
  7. Manually connect SYNC with phone (Because auto pairing/discovery didn't work, I am manually entering the device)
    1. Press PHONE button -> SYSTEM SETTINGS -> OK -> scroll to CONNECT BT DEVICE -> press OK  -> wait for generated PIN number from SYNC on display (6 digits).
    2. On S5, go to BT and select SCAN.....Hopefully, a new device will show up on your phones display as a MAC address.  Select this new device on phone, and the S5 should prompt you with pairing code input.
    3. Input the 6 digit code on the virtual keyboard, and with any luck, the MAC address will change to SYNC and be highlighted in light blue, indicating it is now paired.
    4. Your SYNC display may now ask you (it did, me) to make this the PRIMARY DEVICE.  Press OK.  It may ask to DOWNLOAD PHONEBOOK? next -> press OK.

At this point it seemed to work fine.  I tested with oral commands "Bluetooth Audio.....Play", and it started to play my Audible.com book on tape.  I then selected a podcast from my phone, and it also began playing through car speakers.

Hope this helps some of you.....

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Having issues pairing Bluetooth to my 2008 Ford Edge w/ Sync. Any suggestions?
Jaysonol
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, it looks like I figured it out on my own through trial and error.

So if any of you have SYNC enabled vehicles and are having issues here is what I did:

1. Make sure car is off (non-ignition) - SYNC should be completely off.
  2. Open car door, get in close car door.
  3. Turn ignition on.
  4. Wait for SYNC to turn on completely (approx 10 secs)
  5. On SYNC, manually turn Bluetooth Off, then on.
    1. Press PHONE button -> scroll to SYSTEM SETTINGS -> Press OK -> Scroll to BLUETOOTH DEVICES -> Press OK -> Select OFF -> Select ON (possibly clears BT cache?)
  6. Manually delete any previous devices.  In my case, it was my Droid Bionic.
    1. Press PHONE button -> scroll to SYSTEM SETTINGS -> Press OK -> scroll to DELETE DEVICE -> Press OKAY -> scroll to [select your phone] or DELETE ALL -> Press OK -> Press OK again if asked for confirmation (YES?).  All previous devices should be deleted now and SYNC should be unpaired with all BT devices.
  7. Manually connect SYNC with phone (Because auto pairing/discovery didn't work, I am manually entering the device)
    1. Press PHONE button -> SYSTEM SETTINGS -> OK -> scroll to CONNECT BT DEVICE -> press OK  -> wait for generated PIN number from SYNC on display (6 digits).
    2. On S5, go to BT and select SCAN.....Hopefully, a new device will show up on your phones display as a MAC address.  Select this new device on phone, and the S5 should prompt you with pairing code input.
    3. Input the 6 digit code on the virtual keyboard, and with any luck, the MAC address will change to SYNC and be highlighted in light blue, indicating it is now paired.
    4. Your SYNC display may now ask you (it did, me) to make this the PRIMARY DEVICE.  Press OK.  It may ask to DOWNLOAD PHONEBOOK? next -> press OK.

At this point it seemed to work fine.  I tested with oral commands "Bluetooth Audio.....Play", and it started to play my Audible.com book on tape.  I then selected a podcast from my phone, and it also began playing through car speakers.

Hope this helps some of you.....

0 Likes