Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,456 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Why can't I dial numbers after the update?
kris9999
Enthusiast - Level 2

After the Galaxy S4 update, the keypad and dial a number function does not workand the program closes and you get the " Unfortunatly, Contacts has stopped" error.  It is a problem with the OS 4.3 update.  Verizon did a full system reset but it did not work. Samsung suggested flashing an old version like OS4.2 to the phone but said it may come back since Verizon does automatic updates to the phoneand you can not turn it off.  Not sure what to do at this point.  Any suggestions???

Kris

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem with OS 4.3 on Galaxy S4, key pad and dial a number does not work
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kris9999,

Thank you for getting back to us. Unfortunately there is no way to backwards load an OS. I would suggest trying the reset once more because it has a high success ratio for people with similar problems thus far. You shouldn't have to worry about data being used if you do the update while around a wi-fi area. Please keep us updated on this.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'd love to ensure that you're able to get full function out of your device, Kris9999. Did this start immediately after the new update? Have you tested device in Safe Mode? http://vz.to/1dyR8dX

YosefT_VZW

0 Likes
kris9999
Enthusiast - Level 2
I tried the safe mode but the problem still exists. I do not want to reset again because it used too much of my data plan. Is there a fix coming?  I am frustrated with the OS 4.3 Drop. If I have to go to 4.2 is there anyway to stop software updates?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate the additional details today kris9999! The best way to resolve this issue would be completing a hard reset. To view a walkthrough of this process please visit http://vz.to/176v3fz. Please keep us posted, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
Problem with OS 4.3 on Galaxy S4, key pad and dial a number does not work
kris9999
Enthusiast - Level 2

I already tried Hard Reset and problem came back. They did the hard reset at the Verizon store. Samsung says problem is with Verizon OS 4.3 for Samsung Galaxy.  How can I turn off auto OS load from Verizon?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kris9999,

Thank you for getting back to us. Unfortunately there is no way to backwards load an OS. I would suggest trying the reset once more because it has a high success ratio for people with similar problems thus far. You shouldn't have to worry about data being used if you do the update while around a wi-fi area. Please keep us updated on this.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW

0 Likes
SCouch

I am having the same problem since the 4.3 upgrade on Nov 2/3. Verizon suggested I install an alternate Dialer app from the Google Play Store, and that works fine--I just can't use the actual Dialer that came on the phone. I also called and logged a case with Samsung. Their suggestion (in additional to re-doing everything I'd already tried including multiple re-sets and clearing of caches) was to download Samsung Kies and do a firmware update and initialization. I tried that this morning, and it did not change a thing. If you've gotten any additional help from Verizon or Samsung that has actually resolved the "Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped working" issue, please let me know!

0 Likes
SCouch

Quick update: from another forum, I found someone who installed the Contacts+ (app from the Play Store), cleared the call history, and then found that the Phone app / dialer worked again. Doing that worked for me as well, or at least it's working for now. Worth a shot....

0 Likes
Vi-dude

Just tried the fix that SCouch found and it works so far. Keeping my fingers crossed. Come on VZW find a fix.

Thanks SCouch for finding that.

0 Likes
Love2Boat
Enthusiast - Level 1
Try this and see if it helps: go to phone settings-->More, then select Date and Time. Change the date format to something else then change it back to the format you wanted. Save and go back. Worked for me permanently.