Why am I having issues with the Samsung Galaxy S6 system update issues for G920VVRS4CPL3 software?
gmcward2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been having multiple issues w/ my Samsung S6 device since I  received a new system update push for the G920VVRS4CPL3 software update on Jan . 8th.

Specifically  after browsing the internet using either Google Chrome, or Naked Browser, the Home Button ( center bottom) and Recent Key ( Left bottom) become unresponsive and I then become unable to exit the internet browser or see ( or close)  any other open apps that are on my phone.  The only way I am able to get out of the internet browser  and reset the phone at that point is to do a restart using the power key.

Then after I restart using the power key, it requires me to reset my system password every single time I restart ( I have had to do this 6 times in the last week) before I can access the home screen or any phone apps.  Also, it resets at least some my system settings ( i.e. disable fingerprint sign on authentication)  and I then have to go back in and turn on the fingerprint authentication again after every restart.

How do I fix this issue, or am I able to remove the current system upgrade and revert to the prior system software which worked fine ?  I am a heavy user of my phone and internet for work and cannot have this as an ongoing issue.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

I am a firm believer of the old saying " if it isn't broke , don't fix it" and don't understand why we are forced to make these software updates when our current system works fine. At a minimum , the update need better vetted via user testing prior to pushing them out. I had a similar debilitating system upgrade issue with my old galaxy S4 that  would cause it to randomly reboot at any time and it would also randomly  drop calls. It eventually was fixed with another software push, but my phone was [Removed] for about 6 months while I waited.

Thanks
Guy

profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help- Samsung Galaxy S6 system update issues for G920VVRS4CPL3 software
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate you following up with us and the community members, gmcward2. Looking over the S6, the issues you are experiencing are not common issues with this update. This means one of three things:

1) An app or combination of apps are not  working well with the new software version, or after a potential app updated.

2) The software update did not properly install or is corrupt.

3) There may be a hardware issue affecting your phone specifically

For the first and second issue, a Software Repair may be needed to see if that will take care of the problem.

http://spr.ly/65808RBCj

If that fails, you may need to perform a full factory reset, and then test out your phone with only stock/pre-installed apps to see if the issue can be recreated. If the issue does not come back, I then recommend installing one or two applications at a time to potentially help pinpoint the problem app. (If an app(s) is the cause.)

If the issues re-occur after the above steps, as long as your phone is still covered under warranty/extended warranty, we can replace your phone as the issue may be hardware based.

Please keep us posted. Thank you!

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can  understand the frustrations of having issues with the internet especially if you're a heavy phone user gmcward2. I'm sorry your software update caused issues with your phone. Your issue may be caused by 3rd party apps that are no longer compatible with your new software. You are unable to revert back to the previous software but we do recommend updating your current apps or removing problematic apps on your phone. Here is a list of high risk apps to review http://vz.to/29nh5x5 .

If you continue to have issues after clearing out some memory and removing some 3rd pary apps, the last step is to perform a factory reset on your device. Here is a link with the steps http://vz.to/2ef258e . Please keep us posted. 

KinquanaH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
gmcward2
Enthusiast - Level 2

KinquanaH_VZW

Thank you for the reply . I have reviewed the list of high risk apps and none of them were installed on my phone. How can I otherwise determine which app might be causing the issue? I noted most of those apps are games and I am not a heavy game user. I did go ahead and remove the factory installed games that came on my phone however saving the following : Memory Cards, Words Free, Unblock Me (free), 7x7, 2048, Tetris, & Guess word. Are any of these potential issues w the new software push?

My S6 has 32 GB memory and I have 11.89 GB available. System memory shows at 8.04 GB. Apps use 5.96 GB. Given the available memory, would I still need to " clear out" memory?

I am hesitant to do a Factory Reset unless totally necessary.

gmcward2

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried a system cache clear?

How to clear the cache on the Galaxy S6 - AndroidPIT

0 Likes
gmcward2
Enthusiast - Level 2

tikibar1,

Thanks for the reply . I just did a system cache clear and when I rebooted it did NOT require a new password update ( as it had been doing) and the fingerprint authentication was still turned on.

I have not done any browsing yet to determine if Home and Recent buttons will lose functionality, but will give it a try as time permits today and will post findings back here.

thank you for your assistance!

gmcward2

gmcward2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, I have confirmed that the HOME and RECENT buttons still do not have functionality. As such, I am unable to see what apps are running at any given time, and the only way I can get out of an app and return to the Home page is to continue hitting the BACK button until it reverts to the home page. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to determine what the issue/ conflict may be with the new system software update?

Also, until I can get this figured out there another way I can determine which apps are actively running at a given time, and then close them down?

Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated .

gmcward2

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate you following up with us and the community members, gmcward2. Looking over the S6, the issues you are experiencing are not common issues with this update. This means one of three things:

1) An app or combination of apps are not  working well with the new software version, or after a potential app updated.

2) The software update did not properly install or is corrupt.

3) There may be a hardware issue affecting your phone specifically

For the first and second issue, a Software Repair may be needed to see if that will take care of the problem.

http://spr.ly/65808RBCj

If that fails, you may need to perform a full factory reset, and then test out your phone with only stock/pre-installed apps to see if the issue can be recreated. If the issue does not come back, I then recommend installing one or two applications at a time to potentially help pinpoint the problem app. (If an app(s) is the cause.)

If the issues re-occur after the above steps, as long as your phone is still covered under warranty/extended warranty, we can replace your phone as the issue may be hardware based.

Please keep us posted. Thank you!

NicandroN_VZW

0 Likes