Why Is My Galaxy S7 Experiencing battery Drain?
CARRIEWNY
Enthusiast - Level 2

Galaxy S7 was previously fine (Battery held OK and not hot... but today it's hot, and battery drain is bad.

All apps closed and phone unused, & it's remaining hot with continued drain on battery...  Any ideas?

Notes Software is up to date, phone was rebooted, and under whats being used most by battery (top 2 big ones are): "android systems" & "google services"...

Side note:  cradle charger used at night, last night it did not charge correctly and pulled off at 12%...  charging up to 100% took longer than normal and very warm when charging.   now that it is off charger, still very warm & battery is dropping pretty quickly for not being used.  Thanks i advance for your help...

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S7 was previously fine, but to day is hot, and battery drain is bad.
mondo0
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ahh, it seems the problem is not verizon's after all.. it is Samsung's.  Their Oculus apps keep looping trying to install "oculus rooms" - they worked out a fix but you may have to uninstall and then reinstall the oculus stuff:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GearVR/comments/5520vg/oculus_update_this_morning_caused_my_phones_cpu/d876...

I haven't tried fixing phone yet, just found this info on the net.

View solution in original post

mondo0
Enthusiast - Level 1

i have the exact same issue. seen it all over the net today, something about the most recent update seems to have really screwed us here.. although I don't know why this is popping up NOW (days after people have already been updating.. and same for me, I was fine for a few days up until this morning).  Verizon, any idea on when this will be fixed?

s7 edge user here

0 Likes
BLUES35FAN
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue today too. It actually started last night. I noticed that when I was in the car it wasn't charging very fast. Seems to work ok plugged into the wall last night, but today it's actually losing battery during light use while it's plugged into my computer.

0 Likes
NATBYR74

I'm having the same issue as well.  Started this morning.  3 hour battery life and phone is HOT

0 Likes
mondo0
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ahh, it seems the problem is not verizon's after all.. it is Samsung's.  Their Oculus apps keep looping trying to install "oculus rooms" - they worked out a fix but you may have to uninstall and then reinstall the oculus stuff:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GearVR/comments/5520vg/oculus_update_this_morning_caused_my_phones_cpu/d876...

I haven't tried fixing phone yet, just found this info on the net.

BLUES35FAN
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for posting this. I pulled up the Oculus app on my phone and it said that it had an update. This update is supposed to fix the problem. My phone is still running a little warm, but is charging much better right now. Apparently a previous update to the Oculus app didn't quite work and it was causing it to do a continuous update loop.

I found this short article too...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/29/psa-todays-update-oculus-vr-app-samsung-phones-causing-heavy...

CARRIEWNY
Enthusiast - Level 2

AWESOME! Thanks for finding this.  I uninstalled Oculus and immediately my phone began cooling and charging.  whew...   I'll read through the info and decide if I want to add it back or not..

0 Likes
CARRIEWNY
Enthusiast - Level 2

Secondary issue, 2 of the 3 chargers I have been using, no longer work or they show they are charging but the phone is dead upon waking.  wondering if I may have fried them trying to keep it charged during the Oculus issue or do you think it's my battery now... it isn't hot at all, but seems to be draining the battery much faster than normal still. ugh... Smiley Sad

0 Likes
BLUES35FAN
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine charged fine last night. I always use the cable that came with the phone, but I switch between wall, car, and computer USB port.

Mine does seem like the battery is draining a bit more than usual today, but definitely less than the crazy fast drain from yesterday. I was thinking about letting mine completely drain today before I plug it back in.

gryghin

I"m having the same issue for the past couple of days, wish I had found this thread earlier today as I just finished the Factory Reset on my phone. I'll have to keep an eye on my Oculus software.

0 Likes